Alinsky's Rules for Radicals...

Started by JTM³, April 22, 2010, 04:23:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JTM³

April 22, 2010, 04:23:12 pm Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:41:32 pm by JTM3
I think I posted this in one of Sharon's threads, but I don't remember which one.

Anyway, I wanted to highlight the comment on Rule 4:

Quote* Rule 1: Power is not only what you have, but what an opponent thinks you have. If your organization is small, hide your numbers in the dark and raise a din that will make everyone think you have many more people than you do.
    * Rule 2: Never go outside the experience of your people. The result is confusion, fear, and retreat.
    * Rule 3: Whenever possible, go outside the experience of an opponent. Here you want to cause confusion, fear, and retreat.
    * Rule 4: Make opponents live up to their own book of rules. "You can kill them with this, for they can no more obey their own rules than the Christian church can live up to Christianity."
    * Rule 5: Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It's hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.
    * Rule 6: A good tactic is one your people enjoy. "If your people aren't having a ball doing it, there is something very wrong with the tactic."
    * Rule 7: A tactic that drags on for too long becomes a drag. Commitment may become ritualistic as people turn to other issues.
    * Rule 8: Keep the pressure on. Use different tactics and actions and use all events of the period for your purpose. "The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition. It is this that will cause the opposition to react to your advantage."
    * Rule 9: The threat is more terrifying than the thing itself. When Alinsky leaked word that large numbers of poor people were going to tie up the washrooms of O'Hare Airport, Chicago city authorities quickly agreed to act on a longstanding commitment to a ghetto organization. They imagined the mayhem as thousands of passengers poured off airplanes to discover every washroom occupied. Then they imagined the international embarrassment and the damage to the city's reputation.
    * Rule 10: The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative. Avoid being trapped by an opponent or an interviewer who says, "Okay, what would you do?"
    * Rule 11: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it. Don't try to attack abstract corporations or bureaucracies. Identify a responsible individual. Ignore attempts to shift or spread the blame.

WOW!

I think that's proof of something John Hagee once said; that true Christianity hasn't been preached nor been practiced in 2,000 years.

Obviously, there are a few who do, but in general, the Church has lost the power of the Apostolic Church

I just wanted to post this because I believe it highlights the importance of signs and wonders ministries, and that they aren't merely "non-essentials."

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Foadle

It is a sad analogy but unfortunately that is how many see the church.  We really need to consider what we followers of Jesus Christ deprive the world of when we live such minimalistic lives that are so far beneath what God had planned and purposed us for.  Consider areas of when we don't walk in confidence and boldness, when we don't walk in love, when we don't move in power and authority with signs and wonders, when we live in a diminshed capacity of the faith God has given us.

I gave this analogy recently to a friend.  If I gave you a mansion fully equipped (clothes, kitchen utensiles, food, furniture everything) all of the best standard.  The grounds are extensive with stables (complete with horses and tac), and every good thing.  You have servants all at your disposal to help maintain it all and I am making all the payments required for everything.  You however live in the stable, using the old hessian sacks for clothing and bedding.  You sleep on a heap of straw on the floor and eat and drink of the left overs of the horses provision.  First of all what are you saying about the gift I have given you?  Secondly, what does that do to you as a person?

Yet so many of us do this to God.  The choice is entirely ours.

DianeL

Good posts !

I have a friend of mine who sometime preaches when our pastor is away, he is always talking about the Book of Acts and why we don't see it today.

After the 3rd time he talked about this (when the pastor is away), I went up to him and said, "Okay, I'm in, if you want to go to the mall, or somewhere to do the same as in the Book of Acts - I'm in!!

He hasn't talked about it since......... I can't seem to get anyone to do this, but I have heard now we have an evangelism task force at church looking into 'something?'.  I hope it's the same as in the Book of Acts :)
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

pastorzzub

Hey - we had a young person healed today, we had 4 young people (at least) baptised in the Holy Spirit and start speaking in tongues and probably 20 operate in the prophetic for the first time.

I love being a radical...

JTM³

Quote from: pastorzzub on April 23, 2010, 04:51:39 pm
Hey - we had a young person healed today, we had 4 young people (at least) baptised in the Holy Spirit and start speaking in tongues and probably 20 operate in the prophetic for the first time.

I love being a radical...

AMEN!

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

DianeL

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Sarah

Awesome!!!!  What a great blessing.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....