An unhealthy, negative obsession.

Started by Pete, April 25, 2010, 09:02:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I wrote this post 2 years ago at CF.  It's something that I felt God wanted me to share with you all here.  I have no idea why, but who the heck am I to question God?   ;)   So, here it is, for your reading enjoyment;

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Spam. I don't like it. It's a horrible, counterfeit meat, IMHO, that should never have been invented.

(Stick with me, I do have a point... )

Now that I've told you this, you know I don't like spam. I've expressed an opinion, that you may or may not agree with. Chances are good, I'll get some arguments, and someone will be along shortly to tell me that spam is the most wonderful meat in existence, and that I don't know what I'm talking about. If spam really didn't matter that much one way or another to me, I might debate for a while, but then I'd drop it.

But, if I continue to post about the evils of spam, day in and day out, for years on end, you might start to wonder about me and begin to think that maybe the problem doesn't exist with the spam, but really, it's with me, and I must really have some deep seated issues with spam.

If the only thing I ever talk about is how awful and negative spam is, you would rightly draw the conclusion that I have obviously had some horrendous experiences with spam. Perhaps it made me sick when I ate it. Perhaps someone tricked me into eating spam when they told me it was some other meat. Whatever it may be, if my "obsession" became about spam, you would begin to wonder why I was holding on to such bitterness regarding spam.

When an "unhealthy" negative obsession grabs us, it will taint what we think, say and do. Someone will mention that they had eggs and ham for breakfast, and we'll feel the necessity to let them know "it's a good thing that you didn't have spam!", even though no one was even talking about spam. We'll read our bitterness into every conversation, every thought, every action we take.

Not only that, but as my dislike and bitterness from spam grows, it will begin to affect others. I will make it a point to make sure that YOU don't like spam either. I'll want to make it so clear to you that spam is the bane of our society, that you and NO ONE else will ever eat spam again.

The Bible talks about this as a root of bitterness. I believe there are many ways that we can allow a root of bitterness to take hold. Past experiences where we've been hurt are probably the biggest culprit. Just as one example, if I had a dime for every person that told me they're NEVER going to go back to church because of the hurt they felt there, I'd be a rich man. And while it's true that the hurt that people feel from experiences is very real, when it is allowed to linger, bitterness begins to take hold, and it will taint your views. You'll see things through the veil of that hurt.

God wants to heal our hurts and wounds. He wants to uproot the bitterness that has taken hold in our lives from the scars of the past. He knows that as long as those things have a grip on us, we will continue to hold back, in our relationships with others, and ultimately, in our relationship with Him.

In any event, this is not directed at any one person or situation. Not all that long ago, I had hurt and bitterness that clouded my vision. But I've begun to allow God to peel off the scars, painful as it has been, and allow the healing process to begin. I'm slowly beginning to feel a freedom and a peace like I've never experienced before.

And that is why I post this. It's a word of encouragement, to not let the wounds and hurts of your past take hold in your life, but allow God to heal those wounds and remove the veil of bitterness. However, to do so, you have to die to yourself. You have to be willing to let the bitterness go, which is not easy to do, especially if it has been there for a long time. You have to be willing to say, "God, I was wrong. Help me." It's the height of humility, and it's where true intimacy with the Father can be found.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Foadle

Michael Collum

nice . very Hosea 7 on the healing aspect .

DianeL

Good post Pete, spam isn't my favourite either but if someone wants to eat it, I'll bring them the mustard  :hugegrin:

Hebrews 12:14-15
14 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

flaglady

I remember that. As I recall, even that managed to cause a rucus with 'you know who'!