• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Bible Study: Electronic vs Paper?

Started by JTM³, April 19, 2010, 10:19:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JTM³

Quote from: Foadle on April 29, 2010, 12:53:32 am
Writing is great if you can read.  But you need to remember that it has really only been in fairly recent times that their have been larger amounts of people who can read.  If you were poor you did not get an opportunity at any form of education.  If you were middle class you might have this privelege offered you.  Generally it was for the rich.  Yet everyone was expected to know the Torah.  So much of it was taught orally.

OH, that's what he meant. I thought he meant it was passed down orally, which I'm not sure about..

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

lovesblessing

No the Old Testament was all written down and is still as God wrote it originally.  Each Hebrew letter has a number and the scribes who copied it, had to make sure that the amount of each line of scripture matched every time it was copied.  The Talmud was oral tradition that was eventually written down, during their exile in Babylon, so it wouldn't be forgotton.  But alot of it was given by Moses originally on how do things like the sacrafices and such.....they just wrote it down then to not lose it.

When they found the Dead Sea Scrolls they found out that the Bible we have today, is correct because of the book of Isiah in them is the same as what we have today.  The Hebrew and Greek for the New Testament are what were inspired by God, all of the different translations today we have okay, even if they may not agree on all things....think of the word Love in Greek.....we have one word for it....the Greeks have many words that mean different kinds of Love.....our English language is pretty poor when it comes to really expressing things as good as Hebrew or Greek.

The word "repent" that we use is a big one that we get wrong, because when the NT folks wrote the word repent, in Greek it means to change your beliefs, change your mind about what you believe, not what english has turned it into....we took our english word from latin which means to be sorrowful, not what God intended at all.  Today when we say repent, we mean you better be sorrowful and miserable and beat the crap out of yourself to prove how repentant we are, and when we have finally been repentant enough, than maybe God will forgive us.....if we feel guilty and condemned enough long enough, God will forgive us.....except, how do we know when enough is enough?  See the lie?  That's saying our salvation is based on our work of repentance, not the blood of Jesus!  That lie is what is keeping the church today in bondage to sin.....because when we receive the condemnation, we stay stuck in the sin......and will never get free of it until we start focusing on Jesus and what HE did for us at the cross. Amen!

Sorry for the rant there..... ;)
Faith is having a good opinion of God!

DianeL

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

JTM³

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Foadle

It is true though.  The Bible was copied with marticulous accuracy.  The oral was for those who couln't read but those who were in the positions of authority were were taught and given a good education.

Michael Collum

Quote from: JTM³ on April 28, 2010, 04:11:00 pm
Really? I've never heard that.

The Torah was given at Mt. Sinai. The Jews had just come out of Egypt.

Egypt was highly advanced for its time, and they had Papyrus scrolls, so the Torah was definitely written down.

I disagree that the Word of God was repeated through oral tradition, it does NOT suffer from the telephone game.

I've just never heard anything to that effect. :shrug:

interesting knee jerk response . might want to dig a bit deeper there .

but i think the scriptural evidence (supporting your point about it being written down) is in the beginning of Joshua .

my bad . it was written down . though a couple other passages seem to indicate some form of scribal error was involved during the time of Jeremiah .. Chapter 9 verse 9 i believe . . . nope it's Chapter 8 verse 8 i always get those two mixed up hehehe .

Jeremiah 8:8
" 'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?

But as far as teaching goes . it was always done orally . a select few would read and the rest would listen . similar to the elder traditions in other surrounding cultures . which is why i think the MP3 was so helpful in remembering obscure passages along with more popular ones . because it is returning to the original teaching method which is audibly received teaching . Even Moses heard the 10 commandments .. and James speaks of this saying .. do not be only "hearers" of the word but doers of it .

DianeL

Quote from: Michael Collum on May 07, 2010, 12:50:58 am
and James speaks of this saying .. do not be only "hearers" of the word but doers of it .

I never looked at it that way in this context, so interesting !
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13