• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Can we misuse our 'power' gifts and if so, whose power did we just use?

Started by Hisgirl, August 01, 2008, 09:13:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hisgirl

My daughter asked me that the other day.

She said all power of the enemy is a counterfeit of God's power.  So what he can do...we should be able to do, but in a good way.  If someone were moving in such Godly power, could they one day use that power, and have it not be a God reason?   And if it were a selfish or bad reason, did they somehow tap into the enemy's power?

I thought of Elisha in 2 Kings 2:23  From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!"
He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.
And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

Surely God didn't approve of cursing unto death children because they called him a name?

Take someone who was amazingly prophetic....if such person existed.  Could they use that gift to win the lottery for themselves?  Or use it in some other way selfishly?  And if so, was that God's power or did they tap into bad power?  Thoughts? 
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

BenAdam

An in-depth study of the story about Elisha shows that these were not children but more like teenagers that were mocking God's anointed prophet.  They received just retribution IMHO.

As far as operating in the gifts goes my opinion is this:

One the operates in the gifts gains credibility from those around him/her.  So when this person may step outside the gift and act presumptuously their credibility makes it appear or accepted that they are operating in the gift, when in fact the Spirit is not present.  I do not believe that we can "misuse" the Spirit.  Additionally the deceiver may be able to tempt someone to act presumptuously deceiving signs could follow. 

Hisgirl

Interesting comment, the Spirit is not present.....  So though the GIFTS are irrevocable, as the bible says, you think the gift can be there without the spirit? 

I'm looking over John Crowder's The New Mystics.  He's giving an amazing review of all past revivalists.  It's an interesting account of the ministries of past warriors and it contains details of how some ministries 'went bad'.  I'll have to look back over it with this question in mind.

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

BenAdam

I believe we can act with presumption that the gift is there.  I can presume that I'm in a hand glider and jump off a cliff.

The Lord is my banner

Yes, it is possible for "amazingly prophetic" people, (or indeed any of us,) to abuse a gift. 

All the gifts God gives us can only be used in the context of the lives of imperfect humans being receiving them and filtering, interpreting etc. through our misty or cracked lenses.

I suppose the more distorted we are the worse mess we might make with a gift, yet amazingly God gives anyway. 
Then again, why wouldn't He?  In nature, His rain falls on the just and the unjust, and in the same way, gifts of the Spirit have never been a seal of approval of a person's maturity or moral purity.

It's not the way we'd do it, is it?  But God gives power to us and it really is our responsibility to choose what we do with it - to use it for good or evil, exactly as in the natural - if a father gives his daughter a car she can drive with care or she can go wild and cause damage, even death with it, if a mother buys her son a chainsaw he can cut trees and build something good or he can mursed his neighbour. 

The item, the gift, is not defined  by the use or abuse, it is what it is. 

charityagape

Quote from: Hisgirl on August 01, 2008, 09:25:30 am
Interesting comment, the Spirit is not present.....  So though the GIFTS are irrevocable, as the bible says, you think the gift can be there without the spirit? 

I'm looking over John Crowder's The New Mystics.  He's giving an amazing review of all past revivalists.  It's an interesting account of the ministries of past warriors and it contains details of how some ministries 'went bad'.  I'll have to look back over it with this question in mind.

Beat me to it, I also think that a group of mocking teenagers they were possibly dangerous, which would account for the extremes of being mauled by a bear.