• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
October 21, 2019, 08:47:08 am

"Glad to have been of service!"

Started by flaglady, March 02, 2010, 08:27:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flaglady

So I developed this numb spot on the top of my right middle finger. Also a kind of jangly nerve all the way from the middle joint to this numb spot. It's very disconcerting.

I went to see my pal Les, the hand surgeon at the local hospital. He's a peach. I asked him if he could also deal with a tiny lump I have in the pad of my little finger. Both things have a tendency to get caught on door handles, keys and steering wheels and can hurt and make me jump.

Well, he sent me for an ultrasound scan which I had today. This doctor scanned the little finger first and exclaimed with delight "It's a glomus tumour!"
(just a little cyst made of a cluster of aberrant blood vessels).

He and his registrar spent some time discussing the merits of this tumour and how it developed. I put in that I had another one under the nail of my left thumb and he immediately scanned that as well. They again spent some time discussing the lesions and how it had sculpted a dish out of the bone. (????) (what? )

It seems, since it is made of blood vessels, this thing has a pulse and also because it's literally between a rock (bone) and a hard place (nail) the pulsing gradually erodes the bone until it makes a 'nest' for itself whereupon the sculpting ceases! The things you learn!

Eventually they turned their attention to the middle finger but found no evidence of any lesions there - boooring!

As I got up to depart, the consultant thanked me with puzzling degree of elation. "For what" I asked.

"Well, we very rarely see glomus tumours at all but to see two in one patient is very exciting!"

Glad I lightened his day!

Alpine

Very interesting!  :)

I had what turned out to be a tumor taken off a few weeks ago. It was very interesting to hear the doctor say this was a very strange growth as he removed it.  :D

He showed me it after, it had it's own little sac and didn't seem to be connected by much. It turned out to be non cancerous but kind of weird to see what it looked like from the outside.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

Sarah

So they can remove it and you shall be ok?
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

flaglady

Well, I hope so, Sarah. Question is, will the numb area recover if he does operate, find a lump and remove it? One can never tell with nerves - dicey things. The glomus tumour is no problem. That can be excised ok. But both things are getting to be a real pest. It's very inconvenient when you go to take a corner and find a shock of pain in your fngers makes you let go of the steering wheel! :shifty:

Sarah

Did they say how soon they can take them out?  Do you have to go under for them to remove the tumors?

:heartdraw:
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

flaglady

Oh they're only little itty bitty things - just lumps no bigger than a pine seed. I have to wait till he sends his report to Les and then Les will fetch me back for "a discussion"! :shifty:

When/if we decide to proceed to surgery it will probably be done under a local though I'd be keen to have a general as I quite like the experience!

I'm weird like that!

They're not cancer or anything like that. Just a darned nuisance!

Foadle

Go the local and then ask to watch the op.  I would....maybe I'm the wierd one.  I love watching all that stuff and seeing how they go about it.

btw ... Pete we REALLY REALLY REALLY need that surprised little "what" smilie

Pete

Quote from: Foadle on March 03, 2010, 02:30:22 pm
btw ... Pete we REALLY REALLY REALLY need that surprised little "what" smilie


Which one?  I'll be happy to add it.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Foadle

I named it "the surprised little "what" smilie"....the grey one in the op

Pete

Quote from: Foadle on March 03, 2010, 02:48:10 pm
I named it "the surprised little "what" smilie"....the grey one in the op


Added

:what:
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Sarah

Quote from: flaglady on March 03, 2010, 12:58:12 pm
Oh they're only little itty bitty things - just lumps no bigger than a pine seed. I have to wait till he sends his report to Les and then Les will fetch me back for "a discussion"! :shifty:

When/if we decide to proceed to surgery it will probably be done under a local though I'd be keen to have a general as I quite like the experience!

I'm weird like that!

They're not cancer or anything like that. Just a darned nuisance!



Praying for the pain to lessen and good reports from your Dr. :blowkiss:
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

Foadle

Let us know how things go Flaglady

flaglady

Folks, you're all so very sweet but I promise you, this is nothing! Little more than having teeth cleaned!

Really, really, I only posted this to give you a laugh about that doctor. He was so very excited about getting a patient with two of these things, I was laughing about it all the way home!

Sarah

Quote from: flaglady on March 03, 2010, 06:35:01 pm
Folks, you're all so very sweet but I promise you, this is nothing! Little more than having teeth cleaned!

Really, really, I only posted this to give you a laugh about that doctor. He was so very excited about getting a patient with two of these things, I was laughing about it all the way home!



I had a really good laugh with it just so you know.   :hugegrin:
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....