December 16, 2018, 10:39:29 AM

HGO Server Problems

Started by Pete, February 08, 2010, 10:41:11 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pete

The last week or so, I've been noticing that HGO is loading incredibly slowly in the late evenings (beginning at 10PM ET/7PM PT).  So, I contacted our hosting company to see what was going on.  As usual, Brent at Webnet77 responded very quickly to my question.  (Shameless plug:  If you need a web host, I VERY highly recommend Webnet77.)

So anyway, I'll spare you the gory details, but it seems there is a bug in the software causing something called a "segmentation fault", which is causing the server to go wonky (highly technical term) when the FTP backups are run at 3AM GMT (which, incidentally, is 10PM ET/7PM PT), resulting in ridiculously slow server response times while the backup runs.  So if you've felt like HGO was running at dial-up speeds in the evenings, now you know why.

To make a long, complicated, technical story short, Webnet77 has made some temporary adjustments on our server to prevent this from happening until the software developers can actually create a fix the problem, but it should no longer continue to affect HGO.

However, if the problem persists, Webnet77 has offered to move my sites to another of their non-affected servers.  What this means to you is that if we end up making that move, there is a possibility that HGO (and RTech) could be unavailable for up to 72 hours, but probably closer to 4-8 hours, as the DNS changes propagate across the globe.

If this becomes necessary, I will give you notice of the move so that you can brace yourself for the potential downtime.   ;)   As of now, we don't think that we will need to do this, so just consider this an FYI.

I'll keep you up-to-date as I know more...

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Go Up