December 16, 2018, 09:56:45 AM

HGO Disaster Recovery Plan

Started by Pete, August 02, 2009, 09:32:55 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pete

I thought you all might be interested in hearing the disaster recovery plan that is in place at HGO.

"Disaster recovery" is a broad term that is used to describe hardware failures, hacking attempts, etc.  Really, anything that would disrupt regular service at HGO.

The most critical part of HGO is its data.  HGO runs on a MySQL database, and just about everything you see is stored in that database.  All posts, PM's, blog entries, preferences, settings, avatars, signatures, arcade game scores, comments, etc. are stored in that database.  Each night, I run a full backup of the HGO database.  This backup is downloaded to my local computer and stored for quick recovery.

The other part of HGO is its file system.  These files contain all the source code and templates that display the data in an easy to read format, as well as any attachments or items in our gallery, arcade games, etc.  I run a full backup of the file system once/month, or when a significant change is made to the file system.

Periodically, these items are also backed up on an external device, in the event of hardware failure on my home PC.

In the event of a total system failure, I would be able to recreate HGO from scratch to a fully operational state by uploading the file system and the database backup in a matter of hours.  At most, we would lose only one day's worth of data, depending on when the disaster occurred.

I want you to post at HGO with the confidence that everything you post here at HGO is safe.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Floatingaxe

In the event of emergency, do you supply us with candles, rations and blankets also?

If so, I want apple pie in a can.

Truth

Great idea. Why don't other sites do that? They would if it was their  business or even personal info.
Who left the air conditioner on in heaven?

Pete

Quote from: Floatingaxe on August 02, 2009, 11:39:01 PM
In the event of emergency, do you supply us with candles, rations and blankets also?

If so, I want apple pie in a can.

Apple pie in a can...  it's on the list.

Now I just need to figure out a way to cram candles, apple pie in a can and a blanket down an Ethernet cable, and I'll be good to go.   ;D

O0

goofy

this is brilliant, Pete! thanks for the good care you take of this place.

Pete

It is my pleasure and privilege to be able to use the gifts God has blessed me with to provide this place for all of you.

O0

Go Up