• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
November 21, 2019, 01:39:41 am

$80,000 per song ?

Started by Truth, June 19, 2009, 02:03:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth

With all the contraversy about this a couple of years ago, I wonder how they can record someone else's songs and  put them on You Tube. And also posting the You Tube clips on web site and forums. You know people download them on their PC. Whats the difference?

Alpine

And the music industry wonders why people hate them?
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

Pete

The RIAA is into extortion.  It's, apparently, more profitable to extort money from people for crappy music than it is to find talented artists who make music that people actually WANT to buy.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Alpine

Quote from: Pete on June 19, 2009, 09:16:20 am
The RIAA is into extortion.  It's, apparently, more profitable to extort money from people for crappy music than it is to find talented artists who make music that people actually WANT to buy.

O0

What sucks for them is the 20 and under set have little sense of what we remember how music was distributed - vinyl or CD.

For young ones, sharing music digitally is natural. As natural as it was for when we used to copy movies onto VHS (The supreme court ruled that constitutional)

The backlash against the business side of the music industry has been huge, and will only increase the more they attack average people like this.

Pete

You know what's really odd in that story is that the RIAA was granted a verdict of $1.92 million!  But they say they are still willing to settle, possibly for as little as $3,000!  Good grief.

O0

Alpine

Quote from: Pete on June 19, 2009, 02:36:19 pm
You know what's really odd in that story is that the RIAA was granted a verdict of $1.92 million!  But they say they are still willing to settle, possibly for as little as $3,000!  Good grief.

O0

What a joke!  :D

Imagine how much more they spent in lawyer fees...

bill16652

This is a case of justice run amok.  Whqat a joke except for the poor person the judgement is against.

Pete

This isn't justice at all.

This woman "shared" 24 songs, the equivalent of a long-play CD, and the RIAA wants almost 2 MILLION DOLLARS!  Good grief!  She could have killed someone in cold blood and gotten a lighter sentence.

Absolutely ridiculous.

O0

Truth

But they meant to make an example  of her and they can't do that for peanuts. The irony of it all is they won't get  it because she doesn't have much to begin with or she probably would have bought them not download them online.  This makes them look even worse picking on someone like this. They should have chosen someone with money to make an example of.

bill16652

I have always thought that justice was about the merits od the case and the intent of the p[erson, not examples.  That is  a poor use of the justice system not to mentioon totally biased

Pete

In honor of this completely ridiculous fine, I present to you, Don't Download This Song by Weird Al....

Don't Download This Song (3:53)