• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
April 03, 2020, 03:57:04 am

Immoral vs. Amoral

Started by Pete, November 04, 2008, 11:45:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Over the years, I've heard a lot of people talk about the immorality on TV, and how it's all a part of the master plan to desensitize people so that we will accept homosexuality, abortion, etc.  IOW, it is the media that is driving this trend and trying to make these things OK in our eyes.  I used to be one who thought this way also.

However, in Phil Vischer's book, Me, Myself and Bob, he talks of how the media companies that he had to deal with when he was trying to launch VeggieTales were not immoral, but rather, amoral.  They were devoid of ANY sense of morality, good or bad.  They simply delivered what people wanted, regardless of whether it was moral or not.  If there was a market for Christian shows, they delivered them.  If there was a market for a homosexual sitcom, they delivered it.  IOW, it was not the media companies that were driving the immorality.  It was the people's demand for immoral programming that caused it to flourish.

So I got to thinking...  As Christians, we've tried to stand against the media companies, and regulate what they show to our children.  We have all sorts of organizations that attempt to police what it shown on our TV.  But as long as the people's demand for immorality on TV exists, the TV stations will keep cranking out immoral programming.  It is only when the demand becomes greater for moral programming that they will change.

Take a look at the number of Christian movies that have launched since "The Passion".  Why?  Because "The Passion" was largely successful at the box office, and movie studios saw that there was a demand for Christian movies.

It seems then, that we're fighting the wrong battle.  It is not the media companies that drive immorality in our society.  It is the people's desires that drives immorality.

What do you think?
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Sarah

Since networks usually only keep the shows that are popular....I would have to agree with you.  If no one watches the shows then they will be canceled.  Since Veggie Tales are liked by so many kids I think that's one of the reasons that they are on on Saturday morning.  They will put out the shows that make them the most money.  Sounds right to me.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

GiantSlayer23

The networks are all about money.  If a christian sitcom would make money and bring in lots of viewers, they would make more of them.  As it is, society wants shows that allow them to escape their boring lives.  That's way reality tv is so popular.  Everyday people can't run off to the jungle and hang out with half-naked beautiful people.  Every hugely popular sitcom in the last ten years has been based on the same principle.  Let people escape into a world that is usually immoral, if at best amoral. 

It's not just tv shows and networks that do this.  Companies do the same thing with their ads.  A prime example is an ad from last night's MNF game.  At the beginning of the game, before the kids would be in bed, there was an ad for Guitar Hero.  There's a girl dancing around her living room, a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business.  Her shirt stays on as she dances around.  Two hours later, the same commerical.  expect since it's after hours, the girl removes her shirt and dances around in her undies.  As the old saying goes, "Sex Sells." 

Everything is motivated by morality or the lack there of.  It's all about the Money. 
May His Grace surround you and His Love keep you!

Alpine

Movie companies are slowly realizing that moving towards the Christian/family market makes better financial sense because the crap they've been pushing out for decades makes little money. R rated movies take in little money on average, whereas the most profitable movies are rated G and PG, because of their general appeal to large groups.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

Truth

Some things are  amoral, neutral in themselves. But if its amoral, soon it will become immoral because of this fallen world. So no wonder they demand the immoral. Sin causes the  gravitation to worse and worse whether its tv programs, movies,  literature, or lifestyles.

But we can't allow the world around us to decide how we will be and we need to guard against it. Whatever a person feeds on it gets inside them and evenually comes out. What we see, read, listen to.  I don't really like the programs today. We may think it doesn't affect us but really it does. I noticed a few times when I watch something that had bad  language in it, later I was surprised those words coming to my mind. I don't use that language so I know where it came from. Forget those shows, its not worth it.  If we keep hearing something it gets into our heart and like Jesus said,

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. - Lk 6:45

James 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. 11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? 12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. 

We even talk alot about how important our words are, our confession, speaking in line with God's Word, but then we may forget when it comes to things like this. The world seems to have to add all the 'descriptive words' but the Bible says

Let your Yes be simply Yes, and your No be simply No; anything more than that comes from the evil one.-Matt. 5:37

Matt. 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Life and death are in the power of the tongue as Proverbs says, so I choose to speak life.

Deut. 30:19
I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:  20That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

DianeL

Suppy and demand because the bottom line is the money.

TV/media can meet pretty well all the demands of people, from G rated movies to (if you want to pay) - snuff movies.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Pete

Quote from: DianeL on June 13, 2009, 07:35:41 am
Suppy and demand because the bottom line is the money.

Supply and demand is defiinitely how the entertainment world works.  The reason there are so many immoral TV shows, movies and songs is because that is what much of the general population demands.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

flaglady

During a discussion about the situation in which Ms Boyle found herself during and after Britain's Got Talent, a psychologist and media expert made the comment that "these things will go on happening, people will continue to be put under a microscope until they break and programmes like this will continue to be made because ... (he looked right into the camera) ... people like you will continue to watch and demand them"!

No truer word was spoken!