• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
November 22, 2019, 04:29:17 pm

For the Lord AND Gideon

Started by Pete, June 11, 2009, 09:25:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

We've all read and heard that God is a jealous God, and that He does not share His glory with anyone else.  But is that really an accurate statement?

Consider this passage of scripture;

Judges 7:20 (AMP)
And the three companies blew the trumpets and shattered the pitchers, holding the torches in their left hands, and in their right hands the trumpets to blow [leaving no chance to use swords], and they cried, The sword for the Lord and Gideon
!

When Gideon obeyed what God told him to do, he shared in the glory of overtaking the Midianites.  His name was mentioned right alongside the Lord.

We used this example in church last night;  Think about when your kids do something outstanding.  Not only do they get recognition, but you do as well.  People come up to you and tell you what a great job you've done raising your kids.  It blesses them, it blesses you, and everyone shares in the glory.

I believe it is that way with our Father.  When we follow the example set forth by Jesus and we do something outstanding, people should SEE the Father in us.  And while we don't do things for our glory, God calls us glorious when we follow after His will and purpose for us.

David Crowder has a song that goes like this;

You make everything Glorious,
And I am Your's!
What does that make me?

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

sharonl

I have often thought about how the Virgin Mary has been lifted up to almost equal with Jesus - that verse always comes to me.

Not knocking Catholics - that has just always bothered me and that verse always comes to mind when I see it -
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

DianeL

I really like that song, actually that whole cd 'Everything Glorious - Passion'

and I agree, even with Daniel, Nebuchanezzar kept saying that Daniel's God was great when Daniel obeyed God.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Sarah

And also with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.

Daniel 3
28 Then Nebuchadnezzar said, "Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king's command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. 29 Therefore I decree that the people of any nation or language who say anything against the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego be cut into pieces and their houses be turned into piles of rubble, for no other god can save in this way."

Some things I really wish I was able to see first hand.   :hugegrin:
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

Truth

June 12, 2009, 10:56:21 pm #4 Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:25:15 am by Truth
Quote from: Pete on June 11, 2009, 09:25:48 am
We've all read and heard that God is a jealous God, and that He does not share His glory with anyone else.  But is that really an accurate statement?

Consider this passage of scripture;

Judges 7:20 (AMP)
And the three companies blew the trumpets and shattered the pitchers, holding the torches in their left hands, and in their right hands the trumpets to blow [leaving no chance to use swords], and they cried, The sword for the Lord and Gideon
!

When Gideon obeyed what God told him to do, he shared in the glory of overtaking the Midianites.  His name was mentioned right alongside the Lord.

We used this example in church last night;  Think about when your kids do something outstanding.  Not only do they get recognition, but you do as well.  People come up to you and tell you what a great job you've done raising your kids.  It blesses them, it blesses you, and everyone shares in the glory.

I believe it is that way with our Father.  When we follow the example set forth by Jesus and we do something outstanding, people should SEE the Father in us. .

I think when  people say that God will not sharing His glory, that really means that we should give God the credit, the glory for everything, and not say you did something in yourself because it's His power in us. Without Him we can do nothing. 

So I agree with you. I may say more about this later.