Started by Wordsmith, June 03, 2009, 05:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wordsmith

June 03, 2009, 05:02:46 pm Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:49:22 pm by Wordsmith
My husband and I were driving through the main street
of our town lastnight. What seemed erie about it was all
the vacant buildings. We're not a big town, population about
slightly over 100,000.
Businesses that existed 6 months ago, that no longer exist.

One mall that could house 66 businesses, now have only two remaining. A Sears and a Borders bookstore.

Circuit City

Gottchalks

Albertsons Grocery

Vons Grocery

A couple of mom and pop grocery stores. We now have only two grocery stores to accomodate a population of 100,000.

At least 6 cafe's are gone.

two sporting goods stores closed this last month.

Two Mervyns stores vacant.

And the list goes on.

But when all these businesses are located on one street of a small town
it gives you the creeps and idea that what you are witnessing is a ghost town in the making.

Be as loving as the Truth allows, even if it's
mis-interpreted,
because everyone  you meet is fighting
some kind of battle.

bill16652

Unfortunately this is happening everywhjere and I fear will only get worse with so many of the good jobs being lost overseas.  Some have revitalized and restructered towards tourism etc.

Alpine

Quote from: bill16652 on June 03, 2009, 05:29:41 pm
Unfortunately this is happening everywhjere and I fear will only get worse with so many of the good jobs being lost overseas.  Some have revitalized and restructered towards tourism etc.

Well, I'm not sure it's happening everywhere. I live in a big city, and in the last 6 months I can think of a lot of developments that have gone up nearby, a Target, new grocery stores, several new office max's and a lot of other new stuff. But I bet it hurts small cities HARD though if they lose a few businesses since there are already so few options available.  :(
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

bill16652

The small towns are hurting and many americans are as well.  Service jobs do not replace good paying jobs, sadly we are turning into a third world country.  Wonder what the mi,itary will do for hummers of China gets mad at us?

sharonl

Our little town is a ghost town also - but they brought it on themselves. Wal-mart wanted to come into our little town and the officials who don't want any change turned them down - they went down to the next town and put Wal Mart in and it is a booming town.

Sometimes it is not the economy - but the officials that run the towns, just as our nation is being destroyed by the officials and not so much the economy.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

8 iron

I have to say the exact opposite is happening in Lubbock, TX. We're a town of about 240,00, plus a college of about 40,000.

We have FOUR Wal-Mart stores, TWO Target stores, for a town this small, that is a lot.

Also, I live in a bedroom community about 12 miles from Lubbock. It's growing as well. There isn't much here, a Post Office, an old hardware store, a resturant, 2-3 beauty shops, a small gift and flower store, and Convenience store.

However, in the last 6 months, we've added a new bank, a new resturant and someone is putting in a Sonic Drive In. I've also heard we're about to get a Dollar Store as well. Really great, the town is only 4,000, however, it's growing pretty fast.

In my part of town, they've built 16 new homes in the last year. That's a lot of houses for a town this small. Plus, they've built 5-6 houses in other parts of town.

Lubbock is exploding. New construction, both commercial and residential is stilll thriving. Lubbock just built a National Distribution Center for O'Reily Auto Parts. Will employ 500+ employees and about 20 executives.

I'm just mentioning this because there are parts of the country that are still doing well.

It's not all doom and gloom everywhere.

I will say, interestingly enough, there are a lot of folks from California that are moving to Texas.

Pete

Our town is pretty small also, and probably somewhere in the middle.

They just finished sprucing up downtown, and there have been some small stores popping up over the past few years.

Looking back, I think most of the growth started when Wal-Mart came to town.  Some businesses closed, others opened.  Almost all manufacturing jobs are gone now which was hard on the area, and there are lots of homes for sale, but still in comparison to some other parts of the country, we're not doing too bad.

I like the small town life.  I can think of no place better to raise my kids.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

DianeL

Our town had had the same population since I was a teen, that is strange.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Alpine

Quote from: sharonl on June 03, 2009, 06:08:14 pm
Our little town is a ghost town also - but they brought it on themselves. Wal-mart wanted to come into our little town and the officials who don't want any change turned them down - they went down to the next town and put Wal Mart in and it is a booming town.

Sometimes it is not the economy - but the officials that run the towns, just as our nation is being destroyed by the officials and not so much the economy.

Wow! Hot button topic for me! Walmart has tried to aggressively move into this area. WEe already have a bunch of Walmarts, but they want more. Numerous cities have opposed them mainly because of the unions who are very anti Walmart.

I honestly don't get it. Often the arguments against Walmart is they destroy small shops. While that's often true, those small shops offer high priced items, few jobs and if they do have jobs they have crappy pay. Walmart offers decent hours and benefits.  :doh:
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

flaglady

Interesting to get this picture of Smalltown America. Here in the UK we have our city/town centres where most shops are but in the neighbourhoods, there are little collections of 6-10 small shops (we tend to call them 'parades' but don't ask me why! :shrug: ) that are being hit hard. They always did have a tough time doing competition with the superstores so mostly were comprised of hairdressers, newsagents, betting shops, fish and chip shops and other take-aways and small grocery stores. However, as I drive around there seem to be more and more that are shuttered and closed. Whether that is due to the economic climate or the invasive presence of the superstores I couldn't say - probably six of one and half dozen of the other.

Sad to see though.