December 16, 2018, 09:57:52 AM

HGO Upgrade

Started by Pete, April 14, 2009, 01:40:28 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pete

Hello my forum friends!

As I've alluded to over the past few months, there has been an upgrade in the works here at HGO.  I believe that I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on this upgrade, and I want to communicate to you what I expect to happen.

I do not anticipate much down time when I do the upgrade.  I will probably take the site down on a Friday evening (around midnight EDT Friday night/Saturday morning), and I anticipate that the site will be offline for a few hours while the upgrade takes place.  In short, most of you won't even know that we were offline, since my schedule is to be offline from midnight to no later than 4 AM.  During the forum downtime, there will be a chat room open where you can come and talk.

As a result of this upgrade, I have decided to change the "theme" of HGO.  The theme we are currently using is one of the most popular SMF themes available and as such, there are A LOT of forums that look just like HGO.  Not only that, but the theme we are currently using has not yet been updated to support the new version of SMF.  This new theme will look different, but things will function pretty much the same as they do now.  The one thing that will be absent from the new theme is the ability to change colors.  I was hesitant to remove this feature, but I decided that it was necessary for technical reasons, at least for now

There will also be a new WYSIWYG post editor, which I hope will address some of the issues we've had with copying and pasting from webpages, emails, Microsoft Word, etc.  The post editor will look very similar to the current editor, but will have some minor differences.

I am going to try to preserve all[/I] current functionality of the forum, but it may become necessary to drop a feature or 2 temporarily to ensure an expedient upgrade process.  All core functionality (posting, PM's, etc.) will be online quickly after the upgrade is complete even if some "extra" features require a while longer.

I may put a "dummy" forum online in the next day or 2 so that you can get the feel of the new theme, ask questions, etc. before taking HGO live on the version.

I have not yet set a date for when I'm going to do the upgrade, but I wanted to give you a heads up of what to expect when it does happen so you're not blind-sided by the upgrade.

I will try to make this upgrade process as quick and seamless as possible for everyone.  If you have any questions about this, please ask them in this thread.

[IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/afro.gif[/img]
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

The Lord is my banner

Sounds ok so far...and thanks especially for keeping a chat room open when the forum is offline for a bit, (though it looks like I'll be asleep for the downtime anyway!)
[CENTER][LEFT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][/CENTER]

flaglady

lovesblessing

[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=4]Hey! Mr. [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#7030a0][/COLOR][/FONT][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/afro.gif[/img] I want my purple forum!!!  Don't take that away, please.......pretty please with sugar on it? [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/th_TFRD323.png[/img]
[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=4][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=4][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Oh, and here's a silly picture I found just for you.......[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/winkcheeky.gif[/img]

[IMG]http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/political-pictures-bill-gates-failure-windows.jpg[/img]
[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=5]Faith is having a good opinion of God! [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#7030a0][/COLOR][/FONT]
[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z258/lovesblessing/JESUS20LOVES20DOVE.jpg[/img]

Pete

Quote from: lovesblessing on April 14, 2009, 11:42:59 PM
[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=4]Hey! Mr. [FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/afro.gif[/img] I want my purple forum!!!  Don't take that away, please.......pretty please with sugar on it? [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/th_TFRD323.png[/img]

I am sorry to tell you that the purple forum must go away when we upgrade.  The new theme has a decidedly "sunny" look to it.  Think sunset colors, or something.

The multiple colors in this current theme introduce technical hurdles that I'm not ready or able to address with the new version of SMF just yet.  Perhaps someday the color changer will return, but if it does, it won't be for quite a while.

Enjoy the purple now while you can. 

lovesblessing

[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=4]Hmmm, well, I'll just have to think up new ways to be more purple! [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/winkcheeky.gif[/img]
[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=5]Faith is having a good opinion of God! [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=#7030a0][/COLOR][/FONT]
[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z258/lovesblessing/JESUS20LOVES20DOVE.jpg[/img]

Truth

Ok I'm asking in this thread.

One thing I hope is will  there be  an easier way to get to these pages? I have been trying to catch up reading them but you can only get to the first or last ones.  There is no drop down to put a specific page number. Thats a lot of clicking to get to say, page 20 when there are 40 pages.   And it will be harder the more pages we get.

Another thing I hope it has sections or catagories, its hard to find anything with only one category, general.
Who left the air conditioner on in heaven?

Truth

Quote from: lovesblessing on April 15, 2009, 02:31:55 AM
[COLOR=#7030a0][SIZE=4]Hmmm, well, I'll just have to think up new ways to be more purple! [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/winkcheeky.gif[/img]

You got purple font on posts and signature. Now find a purple picture or graphic  for it and a purple avatar.  Thats should do it!

Pete

Quote from: JJ on April 15, 2009, 11:14:55 PM
Ok I'm asking in this thread.

One thing I hope is will  there be  an easier way to get to these pages? I have been trying to catch up reading them but you can only get to the first or last ones.  There is no drop down to put a specific page number. Thats a lot of clicking to get to say, page 20 when there are 40 pages.   And it will be harder the more pages we get.

Another thing I hope it has sections or catagories, its hard to find anything with only one category, general.

I believe the new version allows you to click the "..." in between page numbers to display a link to every page.

There will be no sections or categories added until there is a need for them.  The small membership here does not yet warrant having multiple categories.

Truth

Do you think this upgrade will be in the near future  ( summer) or far future? ( 2012)

Pete

Quote from: JJ on April 15, 2009, 11:55:43 PM
Do you think this upgrade will be in the near future  ( summer) or far future? ( 2012)

I'm currently tweaking the new theme to my liking.  I'm thinking the upgrade will happen within a month or sooner.  Depending on how fast I make progress, it could be as early as next weekend.

Pete

The upgrade is progressing nicely, and much quicker than I anticipated!

I have a fully functional copy of the new version of the forum software on my desktop running the new, COMPLETE, HGO theme!

Now, I am taking a snapshot of the site as it stands today, so I can go through a dry run of the actual upgrade process on my desktop, probably tomorrow.

A couple of things to note;

* The blog community has had some radical changes, and because of that, I have no idea why the new version doesn't work.  I am going to go ahead with the upgrade, but blogs will probably be unavailable for a while.  Not many people use the blog system here anyway, but I wanted to give you a heads up.  I'll hang on to the blog entries so that when I figure out what's up with the blogging system, I can restore them.

* A new "Reputation" system has been added.  As such, the current "thank you" system seemed redundant to me.  I suppose we could have reps and thank you's, but I dunno...  let me know what you think.

* There will be a brand new media gallery (images, videos, etc.).  In this gallery, you will  be able to create your own albums, vs. everyone uploading to a single album like we have now, plus comment on each other's pictures.

* There will be a new arcade.  The new arcade allows you to have tournaments and challenges with the games.  Should be interesting.

* The "Drafts" feature is not yet supported in the new version, so that will be going away for now.  However, the new post editor will take copy and pastes from Word, emails, web pages, etc. without adding all the gobbledy-gook codes.  Even trade?

Plus, there are a bunch of other small changes that you'll notice here and there.

If all goes well with the test upgrade process, I could be looking at an upgrade this weekend.  It all depends how the dry run goes.  If it goes off without a hitch, we could have a whole new HGO by Saturday or Sunday.

Truth

Quote from: Pete on April 16, 2009, 08:28:38 AM
I'm currently tweaking the new theme to my liking.  I'm thinking the upgrade will happen within a month or sooner.  Depending on how fast I make progress, it could be as early as next weekend.

Maybe next weekend? That's near future for sure. Tweak away 

Saturday or Sunday!

Truth

Reps is more like you agree, thanks you's seem sort of  different. not much.  Getting rid of the gobbledy-gook will be good!

I really do like this blue skin you have now. Its cool!  

Pete

A fun, trivial fact I learned when I was backing up the site;

There are 8,107 files totaling 356 MB and a database over 20 MB (uncompressed) that currently make up HGO!

Pete

I just completed the last part of the back up.  In my typical over-preparedness, I have 3 FULL (data and files) back up copies of the site, 2 on my desktop in different folders, and 1 on another computer in my home network in the (unlikely) case of hardware failure on the first computer.  These will remain untouched so that in the event of catastrophic failure during the upgrade, I can restore what we already have without any loss of data if necessary.

I also have a fully functional copy of HGO from last night at 1:00 AM EDT running locally on my desktop.  Later today, I will run through upgrading this snapshot of the site to the new version with all the bells and whistles.  If the test upgrade is successful and I'm feeling ambitious, I may do the upgrade tonight, but we'll see how testing goes later....

flaglady

Quote* A new "Reputation" system has been added.  As such, the current"thank you" system seemed redundant to me.  I suppose we could havereps and thank you's, but I dunno...  let me know what you think.

To have both would be over-egging the pudding IMO. Reps is cool provided we don't end up having 'repaholics' forum and all that rubbish!

Pete

Well, this is pretty amazing...

I expected this process to be much more complicated than it is.  I just ran the test upgrade on my local machine, and it took all of 4 minutes to upgrade the HGO data and files.  Now granted, it will take another few hours of playing around and tweaking to get all functionality back, but this is very promising.

I think I might just go ahead and do the upgrade tonight, since everything is being so cooperative...

Pete

So, we're back!

Obviously, I still have quite a bit of work to do to add all the whiz-bang features, but the core functionality if back and ready to roll!

Total downtime?  10 minutes!

Now THAT'S how you do an upgrade.

O0

JTM³

OMG.......awesome new theme & forum! :D

Don't forget to add back in the multi-quote function, that is a MUST have in any forum, IMO, unless you don't mind double, triple and quadruple posts! :D

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Go Up