• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Anyone else noticed CF has been down all weekend?

Started by The Lord is my banner, April 05, 2009, 05:31:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sharonl

John - you are in my prayers.

The reason I keep showing you all my son's web page is because he faced the same thing - lost his job, no funds, a wife and two 5 year twins to care for. really putting a strain on us to try and keep him afloat - he turned to making the knives out of desperation and this seems to be the nitch he was waiting on. We are watching God move in his life at desperate times.

I tell you this because I am anxious to see how God moves in your life and where God will place you - with your faith and ability to see all sides of a problem I know God will be using you in a great way so I am excited to see how He will move on your behalf.

Sometimes when God can use us better in another place - He will move us around like a chess board, but will always be where you can do the most good. I see God using you in a mighty way because you can touch lives so deeply and make people think in the right direction. I know it is a scary time, but be excited, I know that a gate opened by the Hand of God is about to be in front of you.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

Alpine

The site is back up but extremely slow and I cannot log in.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

Alpine

Pete

Another very large forum (100,000+ members) that I frequent also did the vBulletin upgrade over the weekend.  They were only down for a few hours on Sunday evening, and back up and running at full speed late Sunday night.

Sounds like they had an upgrade plan, unlike our friends at CF... 

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

bill16652

From what I have gathered over my time there is that Erwin did a lot o0f custom features that were unique to the site and that it creates a lot of problems when anyone tries to tinker with it.  Maybe they just need to revamp, problem is that that would probably do away with the very things that made that site unique

Pete

Quote from: bill16652 on April 07, 2009, 01:53:08 pm
From what I have gathered over my time there is that Erwin did a lot o0f custom features that were unique to the site and that it creates a lot of problems when anyone tries to tinker with it.  Maybe they just need to revamp, problem is that that would probably do away with the very things that made that site unique

They've already done that.

Whether you like Erwin or not, the guy was a coding genius.  He was forever writing new code and customizing things specific for CF.

After he sold the site, when they went to do the first vBulletin upgrade, the tech people started finding all of his nifty customizations.  The hard thing about it was trying to reverse engineer his logic.  So, they ultimately dumped most (I believe it ended up being all) of his customizations and went with prepackaged solutions that did (mostly) the same things, but had a support community behind them.  That's why pets, blessings, CF characters, and other popular features bit the dust.  They either had to find something prepackaged that they could use, or re-code the unique features from scratch.

However, even though you use prepackaged solutions that are well supported, they still must play nicely together.

To give you an idea, HGO is running SMF v1 and has approximately 40 prepackaged "mods" installed and chugging away, not to mention a bit of my own code.  Any time I upgrade, I must first verify that ALL 40 of those mods will play nicely with each other and with the new version of the forum software, and that my code customizations 1) are still necessary and 2) are secure and functional witihin the parameters of the new software.  That's a whole lotta stuff that can go wrong!  It would be incredibly foolish for me to initiate an upgrade without first testing to make sure everything was going to be OK.

The only way you can do that is by doing a thorough real world testing of ALL of the features of your forum in a test environment.  That seems to be the part that's missing from the CF upgrade process, which is what results in days of downtime instead of hours.  That way, all of your "surprises" are sussed out in testing and when you go to do a production upgrade, it goes smooth as silk (in theory...)

bill16652

Thanks Pete really didnt know a lot of that and as far as Erwin goes I always thought highly of him although towards the end I really wondered what was going on with him.

The Lord is my banner

It may be a silly question, but...
why do they bother to "upgrade" the thing at all?

I never see any improvement, only hassle - both for them trying to do it and for us members, so what exactly is an upgrade supposed to be about??? 

Pete

Quote from: The Lord is my banner on April 07, 2009, 04:12:09 pm
It may be a silly question, but...
why do they bother to "upgrade" the thing at all?

I never see any improvement, only hassle - both for them trying to do it and for us members, so what exactly is an upgrade supposed to be about??? 

Many times, an "upgrade" is about security.

People are always looking for new and creative ways to hack into sites and generally create havoc.  So, when a web software developer discovers a vulnerability in their software, they release a new version of the software, or a "patch" that requires forum administrators to "upgrade" to protect themselves from said vulnerability.

There are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of lines of computer code that generate what you see at HGO.  It is inevitable that bugs and vulnerabilities will crop up as it is put into wide use.  That is why "upgrades" are necessary.

In an "upgrade" like this, you won't see any new functionality improvement.  It is simply to stay on top of potential security breaches, and to stay using a supported version of the software.

Sarah

He's just a wealth of information!  :adoration:
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

Alpine

Sarah

Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

Floatingaxe

So--is this a one-man job? What is he/they doing all this time? What does this job entail? Remember, I'm a green granny with regard to computers!

The Lord is my banner

Let's go and hit the guy with that steak of yours Nancy, see if that "encourages" him to move faster! 

jeolmstead

Quote from: Pete on April 07, 2009, 04:33:14 pm
Many times, an "upgrade" is about security.

People are always looking for new and creative ways to hack into sites and generally create havoc.  So, when a web software developer discovers a vulnerability in their software, they release a new version of the software, or a "patch" that requires forum administrators to "upgrade" to protect themselves from said vulnerability.

There are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of lines of computer code that generate what you see at HGO.  It is inevitable that bugs and vulnerabilities will crop up as it is put into wide use.  That is why "upgrades" are necessary.

In an "upgrade" like this, you won't see any new functionality improvement.  It is simply to stay on top of potential security breaches, and to stay using a supported version of the software.

Well, it's very secure now.......

John O.

Pete

Quote from: jeolmstead on April 08, 2009, 08:59:36 am
Well, it's very secure now.......

John O.

Yep.  It's so secure, NO ONE can get in!

goofy

that's true.  looks like we all get an unscheduled Spring Break.

Pete

Quote from: Floatingaxe on April 08, 2009, 02:06:57 am
So--is this a one-man job? What is he/they doing all this time? What does this job entail? Remember, I'm a green granny with regard to computers!

Yes, typically it is a one-man job.  However, proper planning and prior testing makes it go much, MUCH smoother.

Upgrading typically entails uploading new files to the server and running theupgrade script.  Keep in mind that the CF database is ENORMOUS so it takes some time to update.  Then, you have to also update any "add-ons" or "mods" that need updated, and tweak any code that needs tweaking.

I have absolutely no idea what they are doing now. It's coming up on 5 days of downtime, which is completely inexcusable.

Like I said, another vBulletin forum that I frequent did this same upgrade.  That forum has 100,000+ members, and just as many features as CF.  It took them just a few hours to do the upgrade.  That's the difference between having a plan and doing a "blind" upgrade.