• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
July 18, 2019, 09:36:17 pm

Not Sure What To Think

Started by 8 iron, March 06, 2009, 08:35:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

8 iron

I'm dealing with something that is trying to steal my joy and my peace. I've been all day praising God and looking at all the positives in my life.

I'm still broken up over something. I've battled through and will continue to do so, because I'm expecting doors will be opened up for me as move on to another season in my life.

HOWEVER, I just witnessed something this evening that will has greatly changed my perspective on this season I'm walking through.

I live in a bedroom community about 10 miles from Lubbock. My son and I were driving in to buy groceries for the week-end. We always take this little shortcut instead of going down the high-way.

We came upon a wreck and they re-routed traffic. I asked the guy how bad it was. He said, it looked like a car ran a stop sign and got T-boned by another car. Said the car was doing at least 75-80 mph probably.

It killed 2 teenagers and 5 kids that were in the car with the teenagers. It also killed the other 2 in the other car. My first thought was there are people out there who's lives will no never be the same.

It brought my situation into perspective, yes, I feel broken and I feel loss. However, what I'm going through doesn't even deserved to be mentioned in same breath as what these people are now dealing with.

I got home, went and got my daughter from her moms and I'm sitting here with my 2 kids. Honestly, everything in my life is okay. It almost brings me to tears just having them here with me. The storm I'm going through seems miles and miles away right now.

It brings to mind an old hymm we sang in church growing up. "Count your blessing"!! I'm not being insensitive to those that suffered loss in this wreck. My heart goes out to those people. It just snapped me out of a little self-pity, oppression and all the other stuff I was dealing with.

bill16652

You have just experineced the secret to true joy and peace.  No matter what we are going through there is always someone going throught something worse, this does not minimize our own pain but does help to put it in perspective and buy our own pain and suffering there are those out there that we can help and relieve a little of theirs.

flaglady

Amen, Bill. That's a sorry event to happen upon, Brad. How many times do we see distasters and accidents and stuff on the TV news and, ho hum, it's just another news bite. Takes real compassion to put yourself in their shoes like that. You have a heart of gold, my friend.

map4

What a horrible thing. As the mother of 2 teenagers, my heart goes out to them.

I know in my own life I have been feeling sorry for myself. Then, I would talk to someone and they would describe what they are going through. It made my problems look so puny. It did make me stop and thank God for what I have and make me stop feeling sorry for myself.

I think this is why we are told to help those who are weak and bear one another's burdens. When we do that, we stop looking at our own problems. When we help others, we take our minds off ourselves.

8 iron

Quote from: map4 on March 07, 2009, 04:20:55 pm
What a horrible thing. As the mother of 2 teenagers, my heart goes out to them.

I know in my own life I have been feeling sorry for myself. Then, I would talk to someone and they would describe what they are going through. It made my problems look so puny. It did make me stop and thank God for what I have and make me stop feeling sorry for myself.

I think this is why we are told to help those who are weak and bear one another's burdens. When we do that, we stop looking at our own problems. When we help others, we take our minds off ourselves.

Good stuff.