• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Why I poo poo almost ALL conspiracy theories

Started by Alpine, February 28, 2009, 02:11:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpine

I like the title of this thread!

I used to accept several conspiracies. I believed the tri lateral commission was part of the new world order conspiracy. I believed that the UN had secret bases in the U.S. ready to round up people when they were going to unite the world under one flag.

My eyes were opened 14 years ago and I no longer hold to such views. I came to the realization that not only were these charges false, so were all the conspiracy theories I had heard about. The Rockefeller's, the UN camps, the Tri lateral commission, JFK assassination, the landing on the moon, the holocaust deniers, 911 truthers. The list goes on and on.

One thing that bothers me about conspiracy theories and Christians is that evangelical Christians seem to accept them at face value because of the worldview we hold concerning the end of the world. Often, a conspiracy sounds very plausible  because it would fit into an end time scenario. You see this especially with new world order type conspiracies that fit nicely with anti-christ scenarios.

Ever notice most people who are into conspiracies are always into more than just one? The worldview of one who accepts conspiracies often is one based on a fear of that which is much larger then them. It's easy to believe the U.S.  government could be behind something as big as 911 because the government IS so big and there is so much bureaucracy in it. Never mind the facts that we know who the terrorists were and Al Qaida gladly accepted blame for 911. Somehow, the U.S. STILL is behind 911 says the conspiracy theorists.

One problem with conspiracies is they almost never work because of human nature. People have a difficult time keeping quiet. They want to talk. Look at how many uncontrolled leaks we have out of the federal government all the time. Almost no government agency succeeds at keeping secrets. People are always willing to talk when they have a grudge. Even if it means putting their career on the line.

How many conspiracies can you name that have happened? Certainly, there are a few in history. But most are stopped before they get very far.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

bill16652

You say you iused to believe, did you check anything out?  You see I do believe in the tri lateral commission, and others right back to the Illuminati.  There is some interesting things out there about some of the beginningss and the leanings of many of these people that intersect quite nicely.  You really do need to look at the Rockerfellers and the people that worked for and surrounded them.  I will not try to convince you of anything other than to say we know one world government is coming along with one world religion so how do you think these things are going to happen?  Just come upon us in a blink or will there be steps leading up to these things.  The american public had better wake up to what is happening right here with gun rights, civil liberties that have been trampled, oh also, if you have trouble believing a lot about the UN I suggest you read executive orders especially from the Clinton years and some of the UN treaties we have signed.  Some real eye op[ening stuff there.

Alpine

Quote from: bill16652 on February 28, 2009, 02:20:53 pm
You say you iused to believe, did you check anything out?  You see I do believe in the tri lateral commission, and others right back to the Illuminati.  There is some interesting things out there about some of the beginningss and the leanings of many of these people that intersect quite nicely.  You really do need to look at the Rockerfellers and the people that worked for and surrounded them.  I will not try to convince you of anything other than to say we know one world government is coming along with one world religion so how do you think these things are going to happen?  Just come upon us in a blink or will there be steps leading up to these things.  The american public had better wake up to what is happening right here with gun rights, civil liberties that have been trampled, oh also, if you have trouble believing a lot about the UN I suggest you read executive orders especially from the Clinton years and some of the UN treaties we have signed.  Some real eye op[ening stuff there.

Of course I checked them out. That's why I poo poo'd them.

bill16652

Quote from: Alpine on February 28, 2009, 02:34:13 pm
Of course I checked them out. That's why I poo poo'd them. I guess I came up with something different as once I looked at those and then the guidelines Homeland Security operates under for detention and control of areas and then look at posse comitas and what has been done to that along with all the rest I see some very scary things getting ready to happen.

sharonl

Alpine - would be interesting to see this posted on CF - watch it explode.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

Alpine

well...I could...let's see how this goes first... :-)

JTM³

Quote from: sharonl on February 28, 2009, 03:19:50 pm
Alpine - would be interesting to see this posted on CF - watch it explode.

LOL.... I might actually log in for that!!

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

bill16652

flaglady

Yeah - they need that like an aperture in the cranial cavity!

Alpine

Quote from: flaglady on February 28, 2009, 05:08:13 pm
Yeah - they need that like an aperture in the cranial cavity!

What is an aperture?

goofy

Quotelike an aperture in the cranial cavity!

like a hole in the head.

JTM³

[spoiler]

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

[/spoiler]

Neph

Quote from: Alpine on February 28, 2009, 02:11:31 pm
I like the title of this thread!

I used to accept several conspiracies. I believed the tri lateral commission was part of the new world order conspiracy. I believed that the UN had secret bases in the U.S. ready to round up people when they were going to unite the world under one flag.

My eyes were opened 14 years ago and I no longer hold to such views. I came to the realization that not only were these charges false, so were all the conspiracy theories I had heard about. The Rockefeller's, the UN camps, the Tri lateral commission, JFK assassination, the landing on the moon, the holocaust deniers, 911 truthers. The list goes on and on.

One thing that bothers me about conspiracy theories and Christians is that evangelical Christians seem to accept them at face value because of the worldview we hold concerning the end of the world. Often, a conspiracy sounds very plausible  because it would fit into an end time scenario. You see this especially with new world order type conspiracies that fit nicely with anti-christ scenarios.

The thing that bothers me is when people say exactly what you just got done saying bothers you. I agree some people accept conspiracy theories way to fast and easily, but you make it sound like it's all evangelicals who do this, and I know that simply isn't true. Yes conspiracy theories always make sense, that's why if you're intested you should investigate them, not automatically poo poo them as just another conspiracy theory and do no investigation of your own. If you don't want to investigate them that's perfectly fine with me, but then don't claim you know their wrong or pass it of as superticous rubish, like someone else here did, or mock it in anyway.

Quote[/SIZE]
Ever notice most people who are into conspiracies are always into more than just one? The worldview of one who accepts conspiracies often is one based on a fear of that which is much larger then them. It's easy to believe the U.S.  government could be behind something as big as 911 because the government IS so big and there is so much bureaucracy in it. Never mind the facts that we know who the terrorists were and Al Qaida gladly accepted blame for 911. Somehow, the U.S. STILL is behind 911 says the conspiracy theorists.

True, some people do get carried away with them, but I hardly see why we have to point the finger at evangelical christians.

Quote[/SIZE]
One problem with conspiracies is they almost never work because of human nature. People have a difficult time keeping quiet. They want to talk. Look at how many uncontrolled leaks we have out of the federal government all the time. Almost no government agency succeeds at keeping secrets. People are always willing to talk when they have a grudge. Even if it means putting their career on the line.

This sounds as logical as most of the conspiracy theories out there. The problem with that is, whenever someone does come foreward to blab away at what they know, those of you who poo poo conspiracy theories never believe them, pass them off as a bunch of crazies, or that they're being paid. So it really doesn't matter does it Alpine?

[/SIZE]How many conspiracies can you name that have happened? Certainly, there are a few in history. But most are stopped before they get very far.

I don't know, and neither do you.
God's NOT mad at you!! . . . . .NO matter what!

Pete

My problem with conspiracy theories is that it creates a "boy who cried wolf" atmosphere.

9 times out of 10, the conspiracy theory is HIGHLY exaggerated, usually to try and create a sense of fear and/or urgency by the proponents of said theories.  That causes HUGE red flags to go up, for me at least.

The other problem with conspiracy theories is that they are mind "theories" .  My siggy at CF says "Facts are of little importance when the mind has created the conspiracy."  Conspiracy theorists generally are very selective in the things that they use to support their arguments.  Anything that is damaging to the theory is usually ignored while even the tiniest little spec of dust that helps to bolster the conspiracy is hyper-focused on and blown WAY out of proportion.

Every now and again, you'll run across someone that actually has their head on straight and uses factual evidence to support a conspiracy theory, which is very refreshing when you see it.  But mostly, it's just a bunch of people who, for whatever reason, have created a conspiracy in their own minds, usually with no evidence at all.

It is these people that make it difficult, because when you hear someone scream "wolf" too many times, you're going to stop believing it's true.

Are there some people hiding things?  No doubt.  Do I believe that the conspiracies are as ginormous as we're led to think?  Probably not.

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

JTM³

But then you have to wonder, how will the antichrist come to power? On the back of some sort of conspiracy?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Wordsmith

Quote from: JTM3 on March 02, 2009, 09:34:28 pm
But then you have to wonder, how will the antichrist come to power? On the back of some sort of conspiracy?

Speaking as a lamb as I understand. Just to much speaking like one of the good guys who really cares. I guess that could come out of some conspiracy of Satan on the how-to's to get on the good side of people. His message will be just a little tilt of the truth, but not enough that many people won't be un-willing to excuse it.
Be as loving as the Truth allows, even if it's
mis-interpreted,
because everyone  you meet is fighting
some kind of battle.

Alpine

If you believe there will be an anti christ. I think the bible speaks of many anti christs, or those who oppose Christ.

bill16652

While I believe the bible speaks of many antichrists I also believe that the 9th chapter of Daniel, Ezekiel and Revelation and many other references refer to the antichrist in the last days along with a false prophet.  I do not see that as many but one specific one that is described and talked about in terms of power, actions, personality, etc.

DianeL

That's a very interesting thought, JTM3, you've got me thinking.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

JTM³

Alpy, you said ALMOST all conspiracies.

Are there any ones you can think of that you don't poo poo?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]