Anyone want a good course on who the Nephilim are?

Started by Neph, February 20, 2009, 12:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Neph

Appendix 25 from the Companion Bible.

The progeny of the fallen angels with the daughters of Adam (see notes on Genesis 6, and are called in Genesis 6, N e-phil´-im, which means fallen ones (from naphal, to fall). What these beings were can be gathered only from Scripture. They were evidently great in size, as well as great in wickedness. They were superhuman, abnormal beings; and their destruction was necessary for the preservation of the human race, and for the faithfulness of Jehovah's Word (Genesis 3:15). This was why the Flood was brouhgt "upon the world of the ungodly" (2Peter 2:5) as prophesied by Enoch (Jude 14).

But we read of the Nephilim again in Numbers 13:33 : "there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, which come of the Nephilim". How, it may be asked, could this be, if they were all destroyed in the Flood ? The answer is contained in Genesis 6:4, where we read: "There were Nephilim in the earth in those days (that is to say, in the days of Noah); and also AFTER THAT, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became [the] mighty men (Hebrew gibbor, the heroes) which were of old, men of renown" (literally, men of the name, that is to say, who got a name and were renowned for their ungodliness).
So that "after that", that is to say, after the Flood, there was a second irruption of these fallen angels, evidently smaller in number and more limited in area, for they were for the most part confined to Canaan, and were in fact known as "the nations of Canaan". It was for the destruction of these, that the sword of Israel was necessary, as the Flood had been before.

As to the date of this second irruption, it was evidently soon after it became known that the seed was to come through Abraham; for, when he came out from Haran (Genesis 12:6) and entered Canaan, the significant fact is stated: "The Canaanite was then (that is to say, already) in the land." And in Genesis 14:5 they were already known as "Rephaim" and "Emim", and had established themselves as Ashteroth Karnaim and Shaveh Kiriathaim.
In chapter 15:18-21 they are enumerated and named among Canaanite Peoples: "Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims, and the Amorites, and the Girga$#@%es, and the Jebusites" (Genesis 15:19-21; compare Exodus 3:8,17; 23:23. Deuteronomy 7; 20:17. Joshua 12:8).
These were to be cut off, and driven out, and utterly destroyed (Deuteronomy 20:17. Joshua 3:10). But Israel failed in this (Joshua 13:13; 15:63; 16:10; 17:18. Judges 1:19,20,28,29,30-36; 2:1-5; 3:1-7); and we know not how many got away to other countries to escape the general destruction. If this were recognized it would go far to solve many problems connected with Anthropology.

As to their other names, they were called Anakim, from one Anak which came of the Nephilim (Numbers 13:22,33), and Rephaim, from Rapha, another notable one among them.
From Deuteronomy 2:10, they were known by some as Emim, and Horim, and Zamzummim (verse 20,21) and Avim, etc.

As Rephaim they were well known, and are often mentioned: but, unfortunately, instead of this, their proper name, being preserved, it is variously translated as "dead", "deceased", or "giants". These Rephaim are to have no resurrection. This fact is stated in Isaiah 26:14 (where the proper name is rendered "deceased", and verse 19, where it is rendered "the dead").
It is rendered "dead" seven times (Job 26:5. Psalm 88:10. Proverbs 2:18; 9:18; 21:16. Isaiah 14:8; 26:19).
It is rendered "deceased" in Isaiah 26:14.

It is retained as proper name "Rephaim" ten times (two being in the margin). Genesis 14:5; 15:20. Joshua 12:15 (margin). 2Samuel 5:18,22; 23:13. 1Chronicles 11:15; 14:9; 20:4 (margin). Isaiah 17:5.
In all other places it is rendered "giants" , Genesis 6:4, Numbers 23:33, where it is Nephilim; and Job 16:14, where it is gibbor.

By reading all these passages the Bible student may know all that can be known about these beings.
It is certain that the second irruption took place before Genesis 14, for there the Rephaim were mixed up with the five nations or peoples, which included Sodom and Gomorrha, and were defeated by the four kings under Chedorlaomer. Their principal locality was evidently "Ashtaroth Karnaim"; while the Emim were in the plain of Kiriathaim (Genesis 14:5).
God's NOT mad at you!! . . . . .NO matter what!

Neph

Anak was a noted descendant of the Nephilim; and Rapha was another, giving their names respectively to different clans. Anak's father was Arba, the original builder of Hebron (Genesis 35:27. Joshau 15:13; 21:11); and this Palestine branch of the Anakim was not called Abrahim after him, but Anakim after Anak. They were great, mighty, and tall (Deuteronomy 2:10,11,21,22,23; 9:2), evidently inspiring the ten spies with great fear (Numbers 12:33). Og king of Bashan is described in Deuteronomy 3:11). Their strength is seen in "the giant cities of Bashan" to-day; and we know not how far they may have been utilized by Egypt in the construction of buildings, which is still an unsolved problem. Arba was rebuilt by the Khabiri or confederates seven years before Zoan was built by Egyptian Pharoahs of the nineteenth dynasty. See note on Numbers 13:22. If these Nephilim, and their branch of Rephaim, were associated with Egypt, we have an explanation of the problem which has for ages perplexed all engineers, as to how those huge stones and monuments were brought together. Why not in Egypt as well as in "the giant cities of Bashan" which exist, as such, to this day? Moreover, we have in these mighty men, the "men of renown," the explanation of the origin of the Greek mythology. That mythology was no mere invention of the human brain, but it grew out of the traditions, and memories, and legends of the doings of that mighty race of beings; and was gradually evolved out of the "heroes" of Genesis 6:4. The fact that they were supernatural in their origin formed an easy step to their being regarded as the demi-gods of the Greeks.Thus the Babylonian "Creation Tablets", the Egyptian "Book of the dead", the Greek mythology, and heathen Comogonies, which by some are set on an equality with Scripture, or by others adduced in support of it, are all the corruption and perversion of primitive truths, distorded in proportion as their origin was forgotten, and their memories faded away.

Neph

The Lord is my banner

Are you sure you want them all?!

Firstly - since it appears that nephilim were BAD guys, why have you chosen to name yourself after them?!  I think of you as a "good guy" and have always wondered about that choice.

(More questions when I've re-read your posts - I have already jotted down 2 or 3...)

The Lord is my banner

Girga$#@%es

LOL!  Has Pete got a filter on here for a certain word that "inadvertently" appears within this name?

The Lord is my banner

Ok, here goes...

This teaching says that the Flood was sent for the express purpose of ridding the earth of Nephilim, but there are two problems with this:

Firstly, we're told God was judging mankind, not angels or demons or whatever else.
All those people of Noah's time died unnecesarily if Nephilim rather than humans were being judged.

Secondly, it didn't work for long, since it appears that many of the Nephilim simply hid out "elsewhere" and repopulated the earth a few years later. 

God must have known that would happen, yet He destroyed practically everything to get rid of them.  That doesn't make sense to me.

How do they get that "heroes" or "men of renown" means evil? 
The word hero in our modern English language always refers to a fine, upstanding, morally upright guy who rescues people and saves the day, and the word renown is always used of fame in a positive sense.

If it's believed they may have worked on the pyramids, why is there no trace of them?
No large tombs, giant bones, artistic or hieroglyphic depictions, no surviving remnants of huge clothing, weaponry, household furniture or utensils - no artefacts too large for normal human use.

I see nothing in the Bible to warrant the belief that there is "another kind of people."

For this teaching to be true, there is a breed of creature living among us that has been there since almost the beginning, which God does not clearly tell us anything about, despite them apparently interacting with human beings and being tremendously powerful, dangerous, and indeed the cause of both the Flood and the ethnic cleansing programme carried out by Joshua.

It also implies that we human beings wre not responsible for all that sin leading to God's judgement on earth, yet we know we were.

What about the child of a human woman and a Nephilim (hang on, that word is plural - what's the singular?  Nephilum?!)
The woman has a soul, her offspring must be at least part human - so does this newborn baby have a soul?  If so, how can this child ever be saved, since they're not fully human and therefore able to be covered by the blood of Jesus?
Or are they born damned?
Or is "half a soul" enough to allow them a chance?

Or are they like animals and have no soul?

How horrifying is that scenario?! 
Walking among us are people - men, women, children - your neighbour, workmates, the girl on the bank counter - who are really NOT fully human, who are irretrievably lost, soul-less and hope-less, and they did not ever have a choice to follow God, because of their hideous birth.

I don't think I can swallow it, and really don't see the scanty and ambiguous evidence being sufficient to form that entire philosophy.

I know you'll have fun replying! :)

DianeL

I find this fascinating! My interest increased when my brother sent me an email because of watching the Discovery Channel, a program about God driving a spaceship and the Ark is a representation of the Holy Spirit, God zaps the ark which in turn provides power that people can use for good or bad - (sic).

I went over to CF and copied your teaching on the Neph (Sons of God) and sent it to him as he asked about the sons of God.

Anyhow, I found on god.tv - God on Demand - End Times - Alien Encounters - amazing teaching by Dr. Chuck Messler and Dr. Eastman as well as other great teachings (Barry Smith), etc....

As it was noted "as in the days of Noah", there may be a correlation between inter-dimensional beings (aliens) appearing on the scene today to the Neph of old.

Very interesting stuff - presented in a very non-religious way.

It seems God has prepared a 'special' place in hell for these beings (fallen angels) who have left their habitation.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

flaglady

Wow, you two girls! That is some awesome argument. I'm impressed!

Alpine

I'm skeptical when it comes to the view that angels and humans cross breeded. I mean, it's an intriguing thought that it actually could have happened, yet hard to imagine.

Also, if there were millions of these gigantic Nephilim wandering around, I'd like to see more archeological proof. I mean, from what I understand, the only kind of skeletons they ever dig up in the middle east is normal sized people. Not 20 foot tall people.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

leadworship

I always enjoy the discussions and learning about the Nephilim.  I like how you left out the book of Enoch altogether so as to keep a biblical perspective.  I have to get ready to go to a marriage retreat, but I'm looking forward to catching up when I get back.

Sarah

I was watching Rev. Fred Price Jr., last year, and he was doing a series on the levels of heaven and hell.  It was very interesting.  He talked about the "angels" that had no where to go.  It's very interesting.  I'm still thinking about it.....
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

bill16652

Neph

Quote from: The Lord is my banner on February 20, 2009, 04:02:17 am
Are you sure you want them all?!

Sure, if you insist, why not?

Firstly - since it appears that nephilim were BAD guys, why have you chosen to name yourself after them?!  I think of you as a "good guy" and have always wondered about that choice.

Nephilim (nef-ill-leem) is the Hebrew word for giants. They were the offspring of human women and the sons of God (angels).

The last 3 letters, iyr, is actually an old Hebrew root word. It means to watch or gaze upon with eyes wide open. The word was also used to name a certain type of angel called a "Watcher". They were believed to be the type of sons of God who sinned in Genesis 6. It is used once in the Bible in Daniel but many times in other extra biblical ancient Hebrew texts.

I chose to combine the two words and use it as my handle because I thought it perfectly discribed what I was doing. I had my eyes, and mind, open and I was studying the nephilim and all there was to know about them. However, it can also mean that I am watching out for them. Trust me though, from what I have learned about these beings, they are not someone you will ever want to meet or deal with!

(More questions when I've re-read your posts - I have already jotted down 2 or 3...)

I hope you understand, I didn't write the OP, that's the 25th appendix from the Campanion Bible, just so you understand that. And yes they give the right to copy and paste.

Sarah

Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

Neph

Quote from: leadworship on February 20, 2009, 08:29:43 am
I always enjoy the discussions and learning about the Nephilim.  I like how you left out the book of Enoch altogether so as to keep a biblical perspective.  I have to get ready to go to a marriage retreat, but I'm looking forward to catching up when I get back.

And I will continue to leave out the Book of Enoch. I don't think it necessary to show evidence of this by useing that book. in fact I never use to to show what I believe about the nephilim.

Neph

February 20, 2009, 11:18:02 am #15 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:11:24 pm by Neph
Quote from: DianeL on February 20, 2009, 07:03:21 am
I find this fascinating! My interest increased when my brother sent me an email because of watching the Discovery Channel, a program about God driving a spaceship and the Ark is a representation of the Holy Spirit, God zaps the ark which in turn provides power that people can use for good or bad - (sic).

I went over to CF and copied your teaching on the Neph (Sons of God) and sent it to him as he asked about the sons of God.

Wow, I'm flatered.

Anyhow, I found on god.tv - God on Demand - End Times - Alien Encounters - amazing teaching by Dr. Chuck Messler and Dr. Eastman as well as other great teachings (Barry Smith), etc....

By the time I started reading anything Chuck Messler had to teach on this I had already learned about everything I need to know about this and I agree with him, especially his critique on the sons of Seth view. He does a wonderful job of debunking everything about that theory. Never heard of the other two guys though.

Quote[/SIZE]
As it was noted "as in the days of Noah", there may be a correlation between inter-dimensional beings (aliens) appearing on the scene today to the Neph of old.

Very interesting stuff - presented in a very non-religious way.

It seems God has prepared a 'special' place in hell for these beings (fallen angels) who have left their habitation.

Agreed.

Neph

Quote from: Alpine on February 20, 2009, 08:06:57 am
I'm skeptical when it comes to the view that angels and humans cross breeded. I mean, it's an intriguing thought that it actually could have happened, yet hard to imagine.

Also, if there were millions of these gigantic Nephilim wandering around, I'd like to see more archeological proof. I mean, from what I understand, the only kind of skeletons they ever dig up in the middle east is normal sized people. Not 20 foot tall people.

Those are the only ones you will ever hear about.

Neph

Quote from: The Lord is my banner on February 20, 2009, 04:49:02 am
Ok, here goes...

Boy, you like be as thorough I am I like to be.

This is going to be fun! I'm not going to answer every point or question here in this post, there just isn't any room and I'm sure there's a word limit to posts.

Quote[/SIZE]
This teaching says that the Flood was sent for the express purpose of ridding the earth of Nephilim, but there are two problems with this:

Firstly, we're told God was judging mankind, not angels or demons or whatever else.
All those people of Noah's time died unnecesarily if Nephilim rather than humans were being judged.

God did judge and condemn the angels for doing this but I'll show that later. The nephilim, when they are in a body, are not demons or angels, they were men. In fact they are refered to as the "men of renown". The nephilim were not demons and they were not angels, they were the children of women and angels, that had become physical. The nephilim were human hybreds.

Genesis 6:9, These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

If the author first tells us that he going to give us a genealogy of Noah, why doesn't he do so? Instead he cuts it out to mearly say that Noah was a just man and was perfect in his generations and walked with God. that has nothing to do with showing us his generations, but it does give us an important fact about him. The verse tells us for some odd reason that Noah was perfect in his generations, that's to say he had no physical defect or flaw in his genes. Why would that be important to point out, because the nephilim were on the earth in his day and they definatly had a physical defect, or altercation.

The nephilim were men, but because of the fallen angel fathers, some of their human genes were altered. they became big and strong. Some had six fingers and six toes on each hand and foot. Some had a double set of teeth. They were hybreds.

Quote[/SIZE]

Secondly, it didn't work for long, since it appears that many of the Nephilim simply hid out "elsewhere" and repopulated the earth a few years later. 

God must have known that would happen, yet He destroyed practically everything to get rid of them.  That doesn't make sense to me.

Actually no, every living thing died when the flood came except those who were in the ark. Perhaps you missed the part in the OP about there having to be a second eruption of these beings? That's to say that somemore of the sons of God came down, became physical, and married women.

There's a few different ways it can be seen why God sent the flood, here is why I believe so. God had to send the flood because Noah and his family were the only people left on the earth by the time the flood came. This is dangerously close to having the whole human race tainted by this hybred seed. If that would happen, Jesus never would've been able to come and fulfill God prophecy of a redeemer and to crush the head of the serpent, as both physically and spiritually Jesus had to be without blemish or corruption.

Corruption and sin was a given with these beings. It was both in their genes and in their thoughts and actions.

JTM³

Perry Stone has a great teaching on this.

I'm not sure if you've alluded to it yet cause I haven't read your post yet but Perry says Goliath was a descendant of the Nephilim (or an actual Nephilim?) and an actual giant.

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Neph

Quote from: JTM3 on February 20, 2009, 12:12:55 pm
Perry Stone has a great teaching on this.

I'm not sure if you've alluded to it yet cause I haven't read your post yet but Perry says Goliath was a descendant of the Nephilim (or an actual Nephilim?) and an actual giant.

Yes, Perry Stone, definatly a hero of mine, was really the first main stream tv preacher to do an extensive teaching on this for his tv program. I bought his video tapes on this also and he has come up with some very interesting points I had never considered. Perry Stone is awsome! Did you also get the videos or did you just see the tv programs?

And yes, Goliath was a nephilim from the rephaim clan.