September 28, 2020, 02:58:42 pm

To be known by Love

Started by Pete, February 17, 2009, 10:13:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I saw a thread title at CF that got me to thinking;  "How will you know a false prophet?"

My answer is simple;  Love.

Jesus said we would be known as His disciples by our Love.  There are prophets who sound real spiritual and say things that seem right.  But their prophecies lack the Love of God.  Likewise, there are people who may appear to outwardly have problems, that will be mightily used of God because of their Love.   One need look no further than King David.  David had a serious flesh problem.  And yet, God chose to use him.

I used to say that God used people in spite of their flaws.  I am beginning to believe, more and more, that God uses people because of their flaws.  Why?  Because it exposes other people's hearts.  As a whole, we are generally far more concerned with the outside of the cup than we are with the inside.  So when God uses someone to accomplish His will that WE have determined doesn't fit OUR criteria, it exposes our agenda and bias.

I would rather hear from a drunk with a heart after God than a highly revered prophet speaking his own agenda.

So how do we tell the difference?  Jesus said, "My sheep know My voice, and the voice of a stranger they will not follow."  I'm here to tell you, I've heard His voice in the most bizarre of places, and from people I never thought God would use to speak to me.  I've heard His voice in secular music.  I've heard His voice in TV programs and movies.  I've heard His voice from posters on forums that I almost NEVER agree with.  The list goes on and on.

What I'm getting at is I think we've become far too concerned with the packaging.  If we're listening, God will speak to us through many different avenues.  And when you hear His Love in those words, if only for a fleeting moment, you'll know that God has spoken to you through that person.

Many people talk of discernment.  I am convinced that most people who spend all their time talking about discernment couldn't discern their way out of a wet paper bag.     Discernment is being able to listen to anyone and picking out what God is saying to you through that person.   "Hearing" His Love for you through the noise.

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

bill16652

Amen Pete, you are right on!  Does it not say that God will use the foolish to confound the wise.  One more reason not to judge from the flesh but rather by the spirit

DianeL

You know, you made me think of something.

Two different people could even say the same scripture to me, yet from one I seem not to receive it and from the other, their message brings joy and hope.  One is dry - clanging cymbal, the other a message of hope.  Isn't that wild? 
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Pete

Quote from: DianeL on February 18, 2009, 07:14:36 am
You know, you made me think of something.

Two different people could even say the same scripture to me, yet from one I seem not to receive it and from the other, their message brings joy and hope.  One is dry - clanging cymbal, the other a message of hope.  Isn't that wild? 

That's a good point.  I've heard people say, and even said it myself, that it is the message and not the messenger that is important.  While there is a degree of Truth to that, it is not the full Truth.

We are not to compromise the Gospel.  But we are to season our speech.  Paul said that he became all things to all men so that he might by all means save some.  We are told in scripture, as far as it depends on us, to walk at peace with everybody.

All of these scriptures seem to counter-balance the thought that the way in which a message is presented is not at all important.  And it's like you said, the message can be spot on, but if it lacks Love, it's nothing more than just a clanging cymbal.

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."