• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

A testimoney about the Father of the fatherless and the restoration of my father

Started by Alpine, February 01, 2009, 06:15:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpine

A couple of you read this on CF 3 years ago. I wanted to share this today. One of the greatest things God has done in my life is restore my relationship with my father.

A testimony about the Father to the fatherless and the restoration of my father

My story is not unique. In many ways, it is a common story with our generation. Broken families, broken homes, broken lives.

And fatherless children.

I was a fatherless child. The few memories of my father are from when I was five years old. After that, I never saw him again.

My childhood years were difficult. The house I lived in was a pressure cooker. Verbal abuse was common. Physical abuse not so much. That all changed in 1986 when my Mom prayed a prayer while watching Jim Baker on TV. The change came overnight.

I would later choose to became a Christian in 1988.

I was severely depressed, confused and heartbroken. And I had a deep longing for a father.

This is when I asked God to be the Father I never had.

While he certainly wasn't the physical father that I longed for, he became the One who I based my entire existence on. He was my hope, my only source of strength and my salvation.

He was the Father and friend to a lonely, broken teenager who had no friends.

He was faithful to me no matter what.

But I hated my physical father. I blamed him for many of my problems. For not being there. For not caring. But, I decided that I could not harbor this anger anymore. I needed to forgive him. So, I prayed for him every time I prayed. Every day I prayed for his salvation and that we could be reconciled. Eventually the bitterness and the anger melted away. Then, in 1991 I stopped praying for him. I felt some sense of release to stop.

Four years later I was no longer depressed but there was still a deep sense of longing for a father. It was a morning in March of 1995. My Mom noticed that there was an obituary for my grandfather in the paper. That day, an Uncle whom I had never spoken too called and said he wanted to visit. Over the next few months he and I then tried to work it out so that I could talk to my father on the phone.

That day came in the summer. My father called and for the first time since I was five we spoke to one another.

I found out that he had been saved through Jews for Jesus. He told me how he had a Jews for Jesus missionary come and tell his mother about Jesus on her death bed, and he says that she believed as well. I told him I was also a Christian and I had forgiven him for all the years that he wasn't there for me in my life. I told him that I prayed for him every day until 1991 and through that I had been able to forgive him. As it turns out that was the year he had become a Christian. That was why I felt the release to stop praying for him.

Since then, we talk on the phone every week, often every day. I try to get out to see him at least once a year, if not more (He lived in California, recently moved to Oklahoma.)

I consider my restored relationship with my father to be the greatest miracle in my life thus far.

My testimony is that God is the father to the fatherless and the restorer of broken relationships.

And He is faithful.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

Rachel Faith

That is really awesome. He is doing something with my relationship with my dad too. But we're getting ready to head to church so maybe I'll share about it some other time. I am so happy for you. This is really cool to read. Thanks for sharing.
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

sharonl

That is wonderful -  isn't it amazing - even though they are not around - the void is still there. I raised 2 step children and in 50 years the mother came around one time 30 years ago - but still the longing is there for the children, they want to know if she is dead or alive.

I am so glad you have filled that void and able to know your dad - Isn't it also amazing that God relieved you of praying for your dad at the same year he became a Christian. The greatest miracle is that you are able to forgive - a true heart for God.

I am experienceing this in my family now - my so-in-law has a 17 year old son which he never saw nor had anything to do with - his dad left him at age 5 also - he still does not know who his dad is - but he never saw his 17 year old son because of all the bitterness between the mother - the 17 year old son was in an awful auto accident which I have asked you all to pray for and he is recovering - but it has restored that relationship between the father and son - they told the son that when he gets better that they will all sit down and he will answer any question he may have but he will always be there for him - there is lots of guilt - but they are restoring the relationship.

Thanks for sharing your experience -
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

flaglady

That's beautiful, Alpine. I was really moved.

As it happens, the cousin of my brother-in-law was adopted as a toddler and my sister has recentl got access to some information regarding his biological mother. They've been trying to tactfully reveal this to him as his wife said he wasn't interested and has a lot of anger about it. But though he was first a bit reluctant, as the days have passed, he's beginning to warm to the idea. Curious thing is - his real mother and adoptive mother are sisters! But A/M hadn't heard from her in years either. Most odd.

Pete

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

bill16652

Sarah

Very sweet Alpy.  His steadfast love and faithfulness warms my heart.  What an awesome healing he has done for both of you.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

churchlady

Quote from: Alpine on February 01, 2009, 06:15:15 am

I was a fatherless child. The few memories of my father are from when I was five years old. After that, I never saw him again.

My childhood years were difficult. The house I lived in was a pressure cooker. Verbal abuse was common. Physical abuse not so much. That all changed in 1986 when my Mom prayed a prayer while watching Jim Baker on TV. The change came overnight.
I would later choose to became a Christian in 1988.
I was severely depressed, confused and heartbroken. And I had a deep longing for a father.
This is when I asked God to be the Father I never had.
While he certainly wasn't the physical father that I longed for, he became the One who I based my entire existence on. He was my hope, my only source of strength and my salvation.
He was the Father and friend to a lonely, broken teenager who had no friends.
He was faithful to me no matter what.

But I hated my physical father. I blamed him for many of my problems. For not being there. For not caring. But, I decided that I could not harbor this anger anymore. I needed to forgive him. So, I prayed for him every time I prayed. Every day I prayed for his salvation and that we could be reconciled. Eventually the bitterness and the anger melted away. Then, in 1991 I stopped praying for him. I felt some sense of release to stop.

Four years later I was no longer depressed but there was still a deep sense of longing for a father. It was a morning in March of 1995. My Mom noticed that there was an obituary for my grandfather in the paper. That day, an Uncle whom I had never spoken too called and said he wanted to visit. Over the next few months he and I then tried to work it out so that I could talk to my father on the phone.

That day came in the summer. My father called and for the first time since I was five we spoke to one another.

I found out that he had been saved through Jews for Jesus. He told me how he had a Jews for Jesus missionary come and tell his mother about Jesus on her death bed, and he says that she believed as well. I told him I was also a Christian and I had forgiven him for all the years that he wasn't there for me in my life. I told him that I prayed for him every day until 1991 and through that I had been able to forgive him. As it turns out that was the year he had become a Christian. That was why I felt the release to stop praying for him.

Since then, we talk on the phone every week, often every day. I try to get out to see him at least once a year, if not more (He lived in California, recently moved to Oklahoma.)
I consider my restored relationship with my father to be the greatest miracle in my life thus far.
My testimony is that God is the father to the fatherless and the restorer of broken relationships.
And He is faithful.

Alpine, I'm honored to know you.  :blowkiss:
De Oppresso Liber

Alpine

Quote from: sharonl on February 01, 2009, 11:12:39 am
That is wonderful -  isn't it amazing - even though they are not around - the void is still there. I raised 2 step children and in 50 years the mother came around one time 30 years ago - but still the longing is there for the children, they want to know if she is dead or alive.

I am so glad you have filled that void and able to know your dad - Isn't it also amazing that God relieved you of praying for your dad at the same year he became a Christian. The greatest miracle is that you are able to forgive - a true heart for God.

I am experienceing this in my family now - my so-in-law has a 17 year old son which he never saw nor had anything to do with - his dad left him at age 5 also - he still does not know who his dad is - but he never saw his 17 year old son because of all the bitterness between the mother - the 17 year old son was in an awful auto accident which I have asked you all to pray for and he is recovering - but it has restored that relationship between the father and son - they told the son that when he gets better that they will all sit down and he will answer any question he may have but he will always be there for him - there is lots of guilt - but they are restoring the relationship.

Thanks for sharing your experience -

That's rough. Hopefully he can build some type of relationship there. That can be so difficult!

Quote from: churchlady on February 01, 2009, 09:10:59 pm

Alpine, I'm honored to know you.  :blowkiss:

Wow thanks! Thanks everyone for your replies! God is good!
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!