• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

God's Sovereignty vs. God's Love

Started by Pete, January 29, 2009, 10:16:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

To hear some people talk, you'd think that God's Sovereignty was diametrically opposed to God's Love.  I contend that to have a proper picture of who God is, we must begin by looking at Jesus.  Jesus said "No man can come to the Father but by me."  He also told us that He came to show us the Father.

The Bible says God IS Love.  What Love IS God?  The Love that is so thoroughly described for us in 1 Corinthians 13.

Is God Sovereign?  Yes, He is.  But God's Sovereignty does not trump His Love for us.  Nothing does.

When you begin by seeing God as Sovereign, you will see an unknowable, distant God, who just does things because He's Sovereign.  But when you begin by seeing God as Love, His Sovereignty takes on a whole new meaning.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

bill16652

Food for thought Pete, I dont think any of us can truly grasp the Fathers lo9ve for us but I like what you said, had never looked at it like that before

Sarah

Quote from: bill16652 on January 29, 2009, 02:02:48 pm
Food for thought Pete, I dont think any of us can truly grasp the Fathers lo9ve for us but I like what you said, had never looked at it like that before

It makes your mind go TILT.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

j4gong

I think that because God IS love, that automatically makes him sovereign, or atleast it should. When you love someone and they give back that love it makes it sovereign
Our Father who is in Heaven, holy is your name. Your kingdom come Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven! Thank you God for all the wonderful blessings in my life.

JTM³

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]