• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
July 15, 2019, 04:36:11 pm

Anyone Concerned

Started by 8 iron, June 07, 2008, 06:25:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

8 iron

Best I can tell oil might hit $150 a barrell before the summer is over. The result would be $4-5 gas. Not only that, it would impact other things such as groceries, househould goods and clothing. I'm on a pretty tight budget as most folks. Be honest there isn't much wiggle in my budget for higher priced gas.

Hisgirl

If I think about it too much, it makes me worry.  And my worry doesn't affect the situation, only me. 

So, I'm cutting down on errands a bit and not using the truck, only the Honda.  We also have a golfcart and horses, but it might be hard finding a hitching post at Walmart (there ARE golfcart parking spaces though!) 
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

charityagape

Well actually we do pretty good now that my husband works from home, no gas there.  And my mom only lives a block away and the grocery store is about five blocks away............so unless we need to go to walmart (ten miles away) or some serious shopping (48 miles away) we're good, thank you Jesus.

Pete

I work pretty close to home, and the stores are even closer, so the impact is relatively minor.

Being a pretty close budget family ourselves, I'm not exactly looking forward to even higher prices, but gas price is one of those things that I can't do anything about, so I don't worry about it.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

flaglady

I agree - don't like it much but I try to compensate by searching out the offers in Asda (Walmart to you!) and being more diligent in my shopping list so I don't forget stuff.

8 iron

I was reading a article on Yahoo that mentioned food cost going up. Due to price of fuel for farmers, cost of transporting food stuff, the price of at the grocery store could inflate 40% by the first of the year. For example, milk could read $6 a gallon. A loaf of bread that normally $2, could be $3. That is where things will hit harder for me.

If gas goes up, I'll just reduce the miles I drive per month. I'm down to driving 1,000 miles a month, versus about 1,500 this time last year. Of course, I work about 20 miles from home.

charityagape

As the primary grocery shopper, I have already noticed the hike in food prices.  It's pretty steep and has affected the things we eat.

Pete

Quote from: charityagape on June 08, 2008, 03:38:58 pm
As the primary grocery shopper, I have already noticed the hike in food prices.  It's pretty steep and has affected the things we eat.

Sarah's mentioned this too.  We've already had to adjust our grocery list as well, much to my dismay...

But she does an excellent job buying us a wide variety of things to eat, while not breaking the bank, despite the higher prices.

Thanks, Sarah! 

charityagape

My husband is also dismayed.......he says if he has to eat one more chicken he's gonna grow feathers.  ( Our store often has chicken breasts on sale for .99 a pound at which time I usually by 40 lbs of chicken).

flaglady

I was trying to be good and buy free range chickens but at ?10 ($19.78) for a medium one (regular type ?4) I am afraid my good intentions have gone to the wall.

Hisgirl

Four pounds for a chicken means eight dollars!!    Here I would pay around five dollars for a whole chicken.

When I visited Sue I was shocked at how expensive yall's food is!  Everything was easily a third or double what we pay (after calculating pounds to dollars of course)  I honestly don't know how yall afford to live there.   The only thing that was cheaper, that I saw, was a roll of digestive biscuits.  They were generally about 69 pence, which is good. 

I have to start doing my grocerry shopping at Walmart. 

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

Sarah

Quote from: Pete on June 08, 2008, 05:14:11 pm
Quote from: charityagape on June 08, 2008, 03:38:58 pm

Sarah's mentioned this too.  We've already had to adjust our grocery list as well, much to my dismay...

But she does an excellent job buying us a wide variety of things to eat, while not breaking the bank, despite the higher prices.

Thanks, Sarah! 

I have been using coupons and i look at the grocery adds each week.  Wal-mart will give you the same price that another store has in the flier.  I also go to three different stores, Wal-mart, Aldi, and Giant Eagle.  Thankfully they are all in the same block.  We are also in a "depressed" area so our prices are lower anyway.  I make my list and stick to it, for the most part.  I also pray for favor before I go.  There are a whole lot of things I could get and spend a fortune, but a little at a time works well for me.  The birds in my backyard are still living so I really try and concentrate on the things that are within my control.

You are so swell too babe!
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

flaglady

Aww - how sweet! Ain't love grand.

And Yay! for Aldi - I shop there sometimes too!

charityagape

Quote from: MissConStru on June 09, 2008, 07:18:13 am
I was trying to be good and buy free range chickens but at ?10 ($19.78) for a medium one (regular type ?4) I am afraid my good intentions have gone to the wall.

WOW! Maybe it would be cheaper to buy some live chickens and let them run around in your garden.

flaglady

I would but I don't think the neighbours would approve!

flyingsum0

Ive been riding my Harley everywhere...I dont even want to think about what it will cost to fill my truck with gas at 4.05 by me

Kebisoni

My first post here....

Well petrol here is about $10 a gallon, and so we are trying not to use the car much.  Food prices have risen 20% in the last year and they say we are now experiencing the lowest living standards since the 70s.  (The last time Labour were in power - now there is a coincidence).

Pete

Quote from: Kebisoni on June 10, 2008, 03:08:22 pm
My first post here....

Well petrol here is about $10 a gallon, and so we are trying not to use the car much.  Food prices have risen 20% in the last year and they say we are now experiencing the lowest living standards since the 70s.  (The last time Labour were in power - now there is a coincidence).

Holy Schnikeys!  $10/Gallon?  That's NUTS!

Welcome to the forum, Kebisoni!

Kebisoni

Thanks Pete.....it is nuts - prices are crazy here right now - we need to pray hard for our leaders.

flaglady

Hey - Kebisoni! Nice ta see ya!