• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Healing School Lessons - What shuts the power off.

Started by Balance, January 19, 2009, 04:45:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Balance

I have been in the ministry now a couple of decades and the vast majority of it has been specifically ministering to the sick.

A number of years ago - about 13 or so - I started doing a number ofstudies in the Word on healing and different aspects. One of the thingsthat bothered me was the people we lost. Why was that? Jesus never cameup short, or did He?

Now before you jump all over me, give me just a second.

I began reading the Gospels and my questions was - was Jesus everprevented from healing someone. In other words, it was His will, andcertainly there was no lack of power (anointing).

Could there be something man can do, that makes the will and anointing of God ineffective. Hard question isn't it?

I found six instances.

Instance one:

Mark 6:
1Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and Hisdisciples followed Him. 2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began toteach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!

Here isJesus in His home town - with His friends and family all around. Whywere they astonished? What do you think Jesus was doing with His handsthat they considered what He was doing "mighty works".

3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James,Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" So they were offended at Him.

They were offended at Him. Did you read what they were saying in verse two?

"Where did this Man get these things?

Who is He to preach here with such authority? We know His momma and kin......

4 But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in hisown country, among his own relatives, and in his own house."

Notice - Jesus recognized that He was not being taken seriously (honored). He wasn't mad, just recognized the issue.

Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief.

There is two things to note here.

1. He (Jesus) COULD do no mighty works - not wouldn't - but could not.All Jesus COULD do is lay His hands on a few sick folk. I wonder whatmighty works Jesus COULD have done if it weren't for the people closestto Him?

2) He, (Jesus), marveled because of their unbelief. Jesus did not marvel AT their unbelief - but BECAUSE of their unbelief.

What would Jesus be marveling at? Perhaps that because of their unbelief He COULD do no mighty work?
Ego is the opiate that dulls the pain of being obviously stupid.

Balance

Ineed to point out a couple of things going on here, Jesus just finishedreading the prophesy in Luke 4:17. That caused a stir in the Temple.They got a little upset

Luke 4:28So all those in the synagogue, when they heard these things, werefilled with wrath, 29 and rose up and thrust Him out of the city; andthey led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built,that they might throw Him down over the cliff. 30 Then passing throughthe midst of them, He went His way.

Why were they upset?Because Jesus was proclaiming Himself the Messiah. Jesus leaves hishome town and goes to Capernaum and starts teaching in their synagogue.

Luke 4:31Then He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and was teachingthem on the Sabbaths. 32 And they were astonished at His teaching, forHis word was with authority. 33 Now in the synagogue

Jesus was still making His rounds of the synagogues near His home town.

Luke 4:44 And He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee

And then! Jesus did something that most likely caused a firestorm in the Jewish religious community!

Luke 5:12 And it happened when He was in a certain city, that behold, a man who was full of leprosy saw Jesus; and he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean." 
13 Then He put out Hishand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediatelythe leprosy left him. 14 And He charged him to tell no one, "Butgo and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering for yourcleansing, as a testimony to them, just as Moses commanded."

Why would that cause a storm in the Jewish Religious community? Notice what Jesus said.

"As a testimony to them" -

If you're into Biblical history at all - the offering for cleansinghad not been offered in the Temple for close to 1,000 years. For theman to go to the temple for the offering ceremony, was a testimony tothe Pharisees that Jesus was in fact the Messiah.

That rattled their cage!

more.....

Balance

Now, with that in mind is it any wonder why:

Luke 5:17
Now it happened on a certain day, as He wasteaching, that there were Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting by,who had come out of every town of Galilee, Judea, and Jerusalem.
And the power of the Lord was present to heal them.

Pharisees and teachersof the law - from EVERY town in three counties came to hear Jesusteach. They we not there as disciples, this was the beginning of theirefforts to find something to accuse Him of. They came to check Hisdoctrine, to see if He would blaspheme.

But what's interesting is the last sentence.

And the power of the Lord was present to heal them.

Them? Who is 'them'. The Pharisees and teachers of the law - that's'them'. Some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law were evidentlysick.

So here is Jesus, the Healer, AND the 'power of the Lord was present toheal them', so it's obvious that it was God's will that they be healed.

Keep that in mind as we read on:

18 Then behold, men brought on a bed a man who was paralyzed,whom they sought to bring in and lay before Him. 19 And when they couldnot find how they might bring him in, because of the crowd, they wentup on the housetop and let him down with his bed through the tiling into the midst before Jesus. 
20 When He saw their faith, He said to him,
"Man, your sins are forgiven you." 

Wait! Question: What did the man on the bed come for?

Healing -

When Jesus saw their faith - what did He say?

"Man, your sins are forgiven you." 

Why did Jesus talk about sin when the man needed healing? Look at the next verse.

21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Whois this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?"

Jesus was showing thescribes and Pharisees EXACTLY who He was! He was also giving them whatthey came for - the opportunity to accuse Him of blasphemy.

22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, He answered and saidto them, "Why are you reasoning in your hearts? 23 Which is easier, tosay, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Rise up and walk'? 24
But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins"--He said to the man who was paralyzed, "I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house."

I don't know how muchplainer that can be stated. Jesus said that the proof of His power toforgive was the healing of the man's physical body.

25 Immediately he rose up before them, took up what he had been lying on, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. 26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God and were filled with fear, saying, "We have seen strange things today!"

Andthey, the Pharisees and teachers of the law - the ones who were sickand for whom the power of the Lord was present to heal, were all amazed.

Yet there is no account of even one of them - the ones who, the power of the Lord was present to heal, got healed.

Why?

Because they would have had to have asked Jesus, just like the man onthe bed - and by asking Jesus for healing, they would have recognizedHim as Messiah, and their religion didn't believe that.

Balance

Number 3

John 5
:1 After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gatea pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. 3 Inthese lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed,waiting for the moving of the water.

The sheep gate is whereshepherds would enter with their flocks, it was a very bust place, witha lot of traffic. Most Biblical Scholars say that the term 'greatmultitude' indicated 2,000 or more people.

So here you have 2,000 people who were sick, blind, lame and paralyzedwaiting for the moving of the water. Why were they waiting for themoving of the water?

4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water;
then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.

Remember that this isstill under the old covenant, Jesus had not yet shed His blood andopened the new covenant. God, in His Mercy was healing people. This wasa move of God in the area. That's why 2,000 people were laying aroundit -

Notice also that only ONE person at a time got healed - just the first person who stepped into the water.

5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6
When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, "Do you want to be made well?"

I always thought thiswas kind of a dumb question. I mean the guy is sick, he is laying with2,000 other sick people at a place where people waited to be healed.Why else would he be there? It sure wasn't the love of the smell of thesheep coming in!

Then I started working with the sick on a daily basis and found out,this wasn't a dumb question. Believe it or not, I have found two mainreasons why some people do not want to be made well.

1) Their sickness is the only reason people pay attention, or showcompassion to them. loneliness - they would rather be sick and feelloved, than die of loneliness. That is a sad statement on the church ingeneral, we visit people when they're sick, but if there's no 'reason'to visit, we don't.

2) Their sickness is the source of their income. They would rather beon disability and stay sick, then to be well and have to earn theirincome. If you think I'm wrong, I have had four people tell me that."If God heals me - how do I pay my bills?"

7 The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into thepool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another stepsdown before me."
8 Jesus said to him, "Rise, take up your bed and walk." 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.

So, hereis this man, who had been sick for 38 years, miraculously healed in thepresence of 2,000 sick people. Yet no -one else was healed? Why? If youread the following verses, the man didn't even know who Jesus was, andhis healing caused a stir - can you imagine how much more of a stir itwould have caused if all 2,000 of the sick were up and walking around?

We read time and time again how Jesus healed masses of people. Why only one this time?

Matthew 4:24
Then His fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Himall sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments,and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and Hehealed them.

Matthew 15:30
Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus' feet, and He healed them.

Matthew 19:2
And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them there.

Matthew 21:14
Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.

Do a search - EVERY time a great multitude came to Jesus for healing - they were all healed. Why not here?

Why weren't they healed? No one asked - they didn't know who Jesus was,and while they saw the one get healed no one else asked.

Why is that? why did no one else ask?

then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had.

Only oneperson was ever healed at a time. The move of God that had beenhappening all those years turned into a tradition, and that traditionsaid only one got healed at a time.

No one else asked.

Balance

Mark 6:
7 And He called the twelve to Himself, and began to send them out two bytwo, and gave them power over unclean spirits. 8 He commanded them totake nothing for the journey except a staff--no bag, no bread, no copperin their money belts-- 9 but to wear sandals, and not to put on two tunics. 
10 Also He said to them, "In whatever place you enter a house, staythere till you depart from that place. 11 And whoever will not receiveyou nor hear you, when you depart from there, shake off the dust underyour feet as a testimony against them. Assuredly, I say to you, it willbe more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment thanfor that city!"
12 So they went out and preached that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick, and healed them.

You'll note thatJesus brought the 12 together and sent them on their first missionstrip. How long were they gone? Long enough to go into several cities(see Luke 9).

Upon their return from their missions trip.

30Then the apostles gathered to Jesus and told Him all things, both whatthey had done and what they had taught. 31 And He said to them, "Comeaside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." For there were many coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat. 32 So they departed to a deserted place in the boat by themselves. 

Notice: The 12 were now referred to as Apostles (sent ones).

At the end of their missions trip they came to Jesus to report whathappened on the trip. Jesus, then tells them to 'come aside' to rest.They had been so busy that they didn't even get a chance to eat, andnow Jesus was saying, let's get away for a while and rest, getsomething to eat.

33 But themultitudes saw them departing, and many knew Him and ran there on footfrom all the cities. They arrived before them and came together to Him.34 And Jesus, when He came out, saw a great multitude and was movedwith compassion for them, because they were like sheep not having ashepherd. So He began to teach them many things.

So here they are - on their way to a dayoff to get some much needed food and rest. When they get there, there's15,000 people waiting. So much for a day off alone.

Sohere they are - on their way to a day off to get some much needed foodand rest. When they get there, there's 15,000 people waiting. So muchfor a day off alone.

34 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he hadcompassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. Sohe began teaching them many things.

So, instead of getting rest, a day off andsomething to eat - Jesus has compassion on the crowd and beginsteaching them many things. So much for their day off.

35 By this time it was late in the day, so his disciplescame to him. "This is a remote place," they said, "and it's alreadyvery late. 36 Send the people away so they can go to the surroundingcountryside and villages and buy themselves something to eat."

First thing to note- just an interesting FYI - did you notice when they went on theirmissions trip - the 12 were referred to as apostles, and now the 12 aredisciples?

Now it's the end of the day - everyone's hungry and the disciples make the suggestion to Jesus to send everyone out for dinner.

37 But He answered and said to them, "You give them something to eat." 
And they said to Him, "Shall we go and buy two hundred denarii worth of bread and give them something to eat?" 

Sidenote: 200 denarii is approximately 18,000.00 in todays money. Theyasked if they should spend it - they didn't say that they didn't haveit.

38 But He said to them, "How many loaves do you have? Go and see." 
And when they found out they said, "Five, and two fish." 
39 Then He commanded them to make them all sit down in groups on thegreen grass. 40 So they sat down in ranks, in hundreds and in fifties.41 And when He had taken the five loaves and the two fish, He looked upto heaven, blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to His disciples to set before them; and the two fish He divided among them all.

Jesus took the loaves and fish - blessed them and gave them to His disciples who then set them before the groups of 50 and 100.

That means, Jesus blessedthe food, but it was the disciples that 'worked' the miracle. It wasthe hands of the disciples that broke the bread time and time again andit never got smaller.

How long does it take 12 toserve bread and fish to 15,000? Hours? an hour? What ever time, theymust have been under that anointing for a long long time.

42 So they all ate and werefilled. 43 And they took up twelve baskets full of fragments and of thefish. 44 Now those who had eaten the loaves were about five thousandmen.

Then, Jesus sent the disciples on ahead.

45 Immediately He made Hisdisciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, toBethsaida, while He sent the multitude away.

So, the disciples are rowing across the lake, what did Jesus do?

46 And when He had sent them away, He departed to the mountain to pray. 47 Now when evening came, the boat was in the middle of the sea; and He was alone on the land. 48 Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night, (just before dawn), He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by

So Jesus sent the discipleson ahead, dismissed the crowd, took some time to pray and then watchedthe disciples struggling against the wind from evening (sunset) to thefourth watch (just before dawn).

Then He went walking on the sea and...

would have passed them by

WHAT!!?? Jesus watched them struggle for hours, then walked on the seaand if they had not seen Him, would have passed them by? Why?

49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out; 50 for they all saw Him and were troubled.But immediately He talked with them and said to them, "Be of goodcheer! It is I; do not be afraid." 51 Then He went up into the boat tothem, and the wind ceased.

Jesus had compassion on them also - He spoke to them, calmed their fears and then calmed the storm.

And they were greatly amazed in themselves beyond measure, and marveled. 52
For they had not understood about the loaves,because their heart was hardened.

Is it possible that Jesus spent all those hours on shore watching them, expecting them to do something about the storm?

For they had not understood about the loaves,

Evidently something about the miracle of the loaves, should have helpedthem with the storm on the sea? Perhaps, if they could feed 15,000 withtwo loaves - they could calm the storm?

because their heart was hardened.

It was the condition of their hearts that stopped the power of God working in their lives.

Balance

So far we've looked at these four items that shut off the power:

[list=1]
  • Offense/unbelief
  • Pride
  • Tradition
  • Hardness of heart
So let's look at another one:

In Matthews account of what we just read in Mark 6 - he mentions Peter walking on the water -

Matt
14:25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walkingon the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, theywere troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.

As I mentioned earlier, Jesus sat andwatched them, for a long time and then went out walking on the water,and would have passed them buy, but they saw Him.

He must have been far enough for them not to see Him clearly, but close enough to hear Him.

The Bible doesn't say how far, but , for this example, let's say it was10 yards - 30 feet. That would be far enough not to be clear, but closeenough to hear.

27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid." 

Again, the compassion of Christ is there.

28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." 
29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.

Notice, it was God's will for Peter to dojust like Jesus, walk on water. So Peter climbs down out of the boatand as soon as his foot hits the water - the water supports his weight.The power of God was there. And off Peter goes towards Jesus (thesource of the power).

But when he saw that the wind   was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!" 

When Peter started paying attention tothings around him, instead of who called him - the power began to failand the water didn't hold his weight.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.

Peter had walked from the boat to within arms length of Jesus and the power stopped!

Why?

Because he gave more credence to what was happening in the natural, than what Jesus had said.

sharonl

Balance thank you soooooo very much for this teaching - I'm printing it off and will get to a quite place and study it. I appreciate you.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

map4

This is interesting.
I'm seeing some things I never saw before.

flaglady

Balance

IKTCA

Balance,

Yes, I have a question.
I think I know what I lack, and tend to stay focused on what I am lacking. Rephrasing, I think I am bombarding myself with negatives. Hearing more negatives tends to hasten my withdrawal from helping the sick. Do you think I am correct on this?

I think the sick are also bombarded with negatives: you don't get healed because you don't do this and that. I think they will get encouraged If they can hear "positives" from experienced healers like you.

Am I overly simplifying the situation? Is just hearing positive messages not the answer for my problem?

Thanks.

Rupert

sharonl

Hey - I'm still studying - lots to absorb - but we'll have questions - love the study.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com