Hotlinking; What is it, and how can it get Pete in trouble?

Started by Pete, December 18, 2008, 12:50:58 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Pete

"...You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material.[/I].."

The statement above is part of the Terms of Service (TOS) that is displayed upon registering at HGO.  Everyone who has registered an account and posts at HGO has implicitly agreed to abide by the TOS by your participation at this forum.

So, what is hotlinking?  Hotlinking is when you link to an image that is not hosted on this server.  For example, when we're posting in funny threads and people go and do an image search in Google or some other search engine and simply copy the link to that image, you are "hotlinking" the image.  In doing so, you are essentially "hijacking" the bandwidth of the other server.  IOW, every time someone views a thread with a "hotlinked" image, it is querying the server where that image resides, and using someone else's bandwidth.

Not only that, but hotlinking can also be a form of copyright infringement.  By hotlinking an image to another server, you cause HGO (or rather the owner of HGO, namely, me [IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/th_TFRD323.png[/img]) to be guilty of copyright infringement.

Today, I received an email notice from another website, requesting that I remove the hotlinked images from a thread here.  I have done so, and will not hesitate to do so in the future if I receive any more like requests, to protect myself and my web host from any legal repercussions.

One way hotlinking can be avoided is to copy the image to your Photobucket or other image hosting site, and link the image from there.  However, while this sufficiently addresses the issue of hotlinking, it does not address the issue of copyright infringement.  So use discretion in the images you choose to post.  If it looks like it might be a copyrighted image, don't post it.

Also, in an effort to be proactive against other areas of copyright infringement, I am going to disallow the posting of full articles from other websites.  If you have an article that you want someone to read, it is permissible to post [B]no more than [/B]10% of the content of the article, and then provide a link to the original article.  Something like this;

Portland, Ore. – For most of my life I have craved more time with my grandparents, especially during the winter holidays. The memories we share, the fires we stoke, the cookies we bake – these are times I cherish, times I dream of sharing with grandchildren of my own down the road.[/I]

[I]Full article here; [URL=http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20081218/cm_csm/ymoore]http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20081218/cm_csm/ymoore[/URL][/I]

Please understand that these are just proactive measures to protect myself and my host from any type of legal ramifcations of being complicit in copyright infringement.  I know that no one here is knowingly and with malicious intent infringing on copyrights, but I just want to make you aware of the situation.

If you have any questions regarding this, please ask them in this thread.

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

DianeL

Pete, I didn't know this, and I've most likely done it, I'm so sorry.  I'm not that internet savvy.  I'll take better care in the future and follow your instructions listed above. 

Thanks for posting this, and 'sorry' again, if I got Oasis in big doo-doo.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

flaglady

[SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]I have done that too and I should know better! Sorry Pete ...[/FONT][/SIZE]

Alpine

How about taking an image and putting it on photobucket? That's what photobucket is for, plus you're not stealing anothers bandwidth.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

flaglady

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yeah, but it's so much easier and quicker to right click and go to Properties! [/FONT][/SIZE] [IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/winkcheeky.gif[/img]

Pete

It's no big deal.  No one got "in trouble" and I know none of you were doing it on purpose.  I just wanted to give you a heads up so you would know.

The Lord is my banner

Pete, what about the lolcats and dogs sites that seem to run on the assumption that folks are sharing their pics.  Is it ok to link those images directly here or should I use my photobucket even for those?
(I did try to find out, but the terms of use on the sites are utterly incomprehensible - I need a lawyer!)
[CENTER][LEFT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][/CENTER]

Pete

Quote from: The Lord is my banner on January 24, 2009, 05:50:52 AM
Pete, what about the lolcats and dogs sites that seem to run on the assumption that folks are sharing their pics.  Is it ok to link those images directly here or should I use my photobucket even for those?
(I did try to find out, but the terms of use on the sites are utterly incomprehensible - I need a lawyer!)

Yes, those are fine.

Any site that provides you a hot link for embedding is likely expecting you to use it. 

bill16652

Im following the conversation and got an eduvcation but it shows me just how little I know about computers and their terminology

Go Up