• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
February 24, 2020, 02:24:36 am

SOAP

Started by churchlady, December 02, 2008, 12:43:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

san54

Genesis: 29 verse 25
   25 So it came to pass in the morning,that behold ,it was Leah.
   And he said to Laban,,"What is this you have done to me?"
   Was it not for Rachel that I served you? Why then have you
    deceived me?"

Observation-Jacob and his mother manipulated Issac and stole Essau's
             birthright. It was interesting to note that as Jacob traveled
             to his Uncle Laban's home he met his beautiful cousin
             Rachel.He fell in love and asked for her hand in marriage.
             His Uncle agreed and after 7 years of work for his beloved
             his sneaky Uncle tricked him into marrying his unattractive
             older daughter.
             I can imagine how hurt,disappointed and angry Jacob must have been.
             Certainly he remembered  the dishonest way he obtained his
             brother's birthright. God often times teaches us  our most
             difficult lessons as we reap what we sow in others lives.

Application-   One application that jumped out at me was the generational curse

that seemed to be on Jacob's family .His mother Rebekah and Uncle Laban

were both very manipulative liars with little or no repentance for their

dishonesty.It brings to my remembrance that what I do not only

affects me but generations to come.

Prayer-  Father in the name of Jesus thank you for your word.Please help us to do unto others as we would have them
          to do unto us. Bless my family members and those that are praying with me to be mindful of how we treat
          our fellow man. Take away our desire to covet what belongs to another.
   Bless us to sow good seeds and reap a bountiful havest because of your faithfulness. Oh and Lord we know that manipulation
   is  as witchcraft.Deliver us from  this kind of evil we pray.Thank you for hearing and answering our
    prayers.
In Jesus' Name,
Amen and Thank God
"Behold I am coming quickly as a thief. Blessed is he who watches and keeps his garments,lest he walk naked and they see his shame.
Rev.16 v.15

flaglady

Scripture
Genesis 31:49

It was also called Mizpah, because he said, "May the LORD keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other
Genesis 31:4
But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.

Observation
The one fact that springs out about Jacob and his family is that, despite their obvious faith in God, it was a very dysfunctional family! Jacob had cheated his brother out of his birthright and then his father-in-law had cheated him out of his bride, his wages and many other things. So Jacob had taken his family and flocks and guiltily ran away. Yet when the two men came face to face again, instead of argument there was repentance and reconciliation. Jacob had been afraid that Laban would take reprisals against him for running away as he did and that certainly appeared to have been Laban's intention. But God stepped in and stopped him.

Then later, when Jacob heard he was on an intercept course with his estranged brother, his fear caught him again. Convinced that yet again he was going to be on the receiving end of some retribution, he went to some extraordinary lengths to conceal the true size of his family amd estate in case Esau chose to loot and pillage from him.

But Esau had no such intention. Instead he 'ran to meet Jacob and embraced him; he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.'

Action
Repentance and reconciliation is a powerful thing. It washes away past hurt, mends broken fences and heals wounds caused by offences, real or imagined. Trouble is, it takes a LOT of humility to repent, to admit you've done wrong and need to be forgiven. Pride, you see. Man is filled with it. We are by nature, a competitive and selfish breed. Our perception of ourselves is mostly biased towards the notion that our actions are above reproach! Oh, if that were only true and we could really see ourselves, not only as others see us but as GOD sees us too. How much would we repent and desire to be reconciled then.

Prayer
Father in heaven, You are perfect. Perfect in intention, perfect in desire and perfect in love. We can never hope to come within a million miles of that perfection which is the only way You are able to meet us face to face. How wonderful that You do not see us as we really are but through the 'looking glass' which is the image of Your son, Jesus. Without Him we could never hope to be reconciled with You. Hallelujah!

IKTCA

Genesis 30: Jacob married Leah and Rachel. Jacob got 11 sons from the sisters and their maids.

While reading Genesis 30, my heart was filled with thanksgiving.

The Bible does not just say Jacob got 12 children from Leah, Rachel, and their two maids. If the Bible did so, it would be the most boring book.

The Bible records personal stories of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah, including jealousy and conflicts among them. But in the end, God governed their hearts and kept them in unity. That's why the Bible is a heart-warming book.

This chapter reminded me of one event. After daily devotional became a routine (lunch break and evening) - there is a reason I state this here - and supernatural experiences also became somewhat routine, I started to ask for spiritual gifts, many gifts. I thought I was ready for them. One day, while I was praying, the Lord answered:

You have a woman to whom you are the only man, and two children who are not tainted by evil ..... (the Lord listed a few more) ....  Who owes more to whom? Do I owe more to you or do you owe more to me?

I saw a thought hiding in me that I was going a great favor to the Lord by doing devotional twice a day, and that the Lord owed me spiritual gifts. (The Lord knows my hidden thoughts. Amen.)

It was God who kept my wife's heart to me and my two children from evil. It was God who kept my family of 4. The same God kept Jacob's family of 16 through jealousy and conflicts.

Father,
You are the Lord of my family.
You fed us, you clothed us, and you kept us in one.
Even when I quarreled with my wife and displeased you, your grace brought reconciliation to me. I vividly remember that day.

Father,
Now and forever, I petition you to remain as the Lord of my two daughters.
Amen.

flaglady

IKTCA - that is an awesome message!

IKTCA

January 15, 2009, 12:15:48 am #84 Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:38:01 am by IKTCA
I am certain that every devotional posted here is a fragrant offering to the Lord. Some may look better than the others to human eyes. But to the Lord each is equally fragrant, equally pleasing.

Isaac breathed his last ... his sons Esau and Jacob buried him. (Genesis 35:29)

Both Abraham and Isaac received the same promise from God that their descendants would be as numerous as sand in the shore and possess the land. Neither saw their descendants possessing the land.

But Isaac saw Jacob and Esau becoming numerous before his death. He saw all 12 sons of Jacob and 5 sons of Esau. At least, he witnessed the beginning of the promise fulfillment.

Abraham had only one son Isaac. (Other sons born out of promise he sent far away.) Isaac became rich and strong, but Abraham died without seeing even the beginning of promise fulfillment. What was it like to live with a promise yet to be fulfilled?

Moses strived all his life without entering the Promised Land. But he saw the Land before death. Abraham died even without seeing any.

The Lord gave me a promise. It is still unfulfilled. Will I see the beginning of promise fulfillment before death? Or will I die without seeing?

Father,
If I am to die without seeing, increase my hope and faith in your promise.
Amen.

IKTCA

I need to post everyday here.

Reading the Bible, reflecting on it, and putting it down in personal journal is one thing. I do it regularly.
But organizing it in a post-able format is another. It takes more time, more prayers, and more reflection. A post is different from scribbled journal notes.
I need to do this everyday for my own training. But If I do, I am afraid mine may run a few days in a row. That would be no fun for others to read. And I don't want it, either. I want my posts alternating with others'. Please help me.

Thank you.

Rupert

flaglady

Oh please don't worry! I love reading your submissions. But I'll do another because it's helping my bible study too!

Scripture
Gen. 39-41
The story of Joseph and his slavey in Egypt. The crux of the chapters is that he was honest and trustworthy and as a result, others were blessed because of his presence

Luke 16:3-6
The manager said to himself, 'What shall I do now? My master is taking away my job. I'm not strong enough to dig, and I'm ashamed to beg - I know what I'll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses.'
So he called in each one of his master's debtors. He asked the first, 'How much do you owe my master?'
'Eight hundred gallons of olive oil,' he replied.
The manager told him, 'Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred.'
Then he asked the second, 'And how much do you owe?'
'A thousand bushels of wheat,' he replied.
He told him, 'Take your bill and make it eight hundred.'
The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly.

Observation
I find these examples very puzzling.

Although it is not said specifically that the manager has been guilty of wrong doing, he nevertheless
takes the threat of being fired as absolute. Instead of presenting evidence to clear his name, he falsifies the books to curry favour with his master's debtors. And he was commended for it!

Whilst Joseph, who had done nothing wrong - except, perhaps, being a bit proud in front if his brothers - was sold as a slave by his family and then imprisoned for a rape that never happened. Yet he still found it within himself to work hard and diligently for his masters in both situations and ended up being rewarded for that by being made second in command next only to Pharoah!

Action
To pray!

Prayer
Father God, there are many things in this life I cannot understand. Jesus said it so I trust it. I cannot understand everything. But I place my faith in You, dear Lord. Someday I shall have a clearer vision and will see more clearly all that You strive to teach me. Until then I sit at Your feet, read Your word and trust in You always.

IKTCA

Genesis 37, 39, 40, & 41 Joseph's story

Joseph had moments when he could have lost hope.  When his own brothers betrayed him, when he became a slave that was sold and bought, when his trusted master threw him into a prison, Joseph could have given up.  If he had, God could not have achieved all that He intended.

Much can God do through a man who trusts Him and follows Him. Paul trusted Him in a shipwreck, in hunger, in prison, and when abandoned by his own church brothers. Knowing that He would not take advantage of him, and that He is capable to save him from destruction, Joseph and Paul persisted in hope and trust.

God has not put me in a prison or in hunger. Just because He gave me a promise and has not fulfilled it yet, I am discouraged. These chapters contrast me against Joseph, and tell me where I fall short.

Father,
I confess I lack trust . Let Joseph teach me trust and hope in you and your words.
Amen.

churchlady

Quote from: churchlady on January 11, 2009, 11:47:10 pm

This Week's Scriptures:

Saturday    Jan. 17  Gen. 42,43;  Psalms 5;  Luke17
Sunday      Jan. 18  Gen. 44-46;  Luke 18
Monday     Jan. 19   Gen. 47,48;  Psalms10;  Luke 19
Tues       Jan. 20   Gen. 49,50;  Psalms 8;  Luke 20
Wednes.    Jan. 21   Exodus 1,2;  Psalms 88;  Luke 21
Thurs.       Jan. 22    Exodus 3-5;  Luke 22
Friday       Jan. 23    Exodus 6-8;  Luke 23
Saturday   Jan. 24    Exodus 9-11;  Luke 24

My 'soap' which follows is actually yesterday's (friday's) scriptures. 
I'm doing a little catch-up.

Scripture

Genesis 39-41; Luke 16

Observation

As I read all of these real life stories in Genesis, the song that Harvey sings ("God Knows How To Grow A Man"), keeps coming to my remembrance. 

Jacob goes through a 20 year refining process with his deceitful father-in-law, Laban.  And Joseph is in Egypt approximately 20 years before his brothers come to buy grain, and they are reunited. (from 17years old when sold, to 30 years old when brought before Pharoah, to 7 more years when the famine begins and his brothers need to find food).

What I am observing is NOT the approximate years that some of these biblical figures go through trials, but that God allowed them to go THROUGH them, while showing mercy and blessing IN them, and they come out on the other side changed and matured.  You begin to observe such a difference in them.

God had a plan for Jacob's life and Joseph's life and our lives, as well.  We must be refined to get to our God-given destiny.

(Rev. 3:18 "I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white
garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.")

Application

The important thing about going through trials is our RESPONSE to them.  Joseph kept his faith in God throughout, even though I am sure that he went through some dark, scary times when his faith was sorely tested. 

This biblical glance at the broad overview of these men's lives even changes the way I pray for myself and others...........not just to get OUT of troubles but to respond properly while IN them.

Prayer

Father, You and You alone, know how to get us through the wilderness situations of our lives and out to the other side, better for the experience.  You promised that when we pass through the waters, they would not overcome us......and when we pass through the fire, we would not get burned. (Isaiah 43)

Help all of us, Lord to trust in You, who are both the author and the finisher of our faith in every trial of life.  Work in us the power and the ability to respond appropriately, so that we don't grow discouraged and drift from You, but that we pull in even closer than before, so that true maturity and growth occurs, and not bitterness of spirit.

Our hope is in You, Lord.  Amen.
De Oppresso Liber

IKTCA

January 18, 2009, 02:36:02 am #89 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:35:29 am by IKTCA
The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith." (Luke 17:5)

I can relate to the apostles through this passage. I used to see them as giants of faith transplanted to the earth after being born and raised in another star. But now I see. They were just like me. Before they became giants of faith, they, too, struggled to have more faith.

If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree .............(Luke 17:6)

This verse used to offend me. I say "offend" because the verse did more than cutting my heart. It used to frustrate me for not having the tree-moving faith. I used to protest to Jesus, "Lord, if you raise the standard of faith that high, who can reach it?" But now I see. Jesus said this to increase the apostles' faith. Just as Jesus said to the unclean, "So I want to," Jesus was saying to the apostles, "I want you to have this faith."

Lord Jesus,
Increase my faith.
Speak to me, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' it would obey you." Then I shall have the faith.
Amen.

IKTCA

Jesus asked the blind man, "What do you want me to do for you?" (Luke 18:41)

Starting tonight, I am going to wait for the Lord until he asks me, "What do you want me to do for you?" I will say, "Lord, raise healers at every church. Your children are suffering much without healers. If I may add another, raise teachers at every church. If I may add the third, let my eyes see harvesting at the jail." Since I cannot wait indefinitely. I am going to wait for the Lord for next 3 days.

Friends,
If you remember me next 3 days, encourage me in your prayers.
Thanks.

Rupert

IKTCA

.....Cry out day and night...
God will avenge speedily..... (Luke 18:7-8)

Whenever I read this passage, I used to think "crying out day and night" was too big a requirement for God to bring righteousness. "How can an ordinary believer cry out day and night?" I used to complain silently to the Lord. But the Lord Jesus knows my hidden thoughts. I think he decided to teach me tonight.

Daddy wants to decorate his son's birthday party with balloons. He goes to a store, and buys a box of balloons and a tank of helium. When he comes home, his son picks a balloon from the box and hands it over to the father, who then fills it with gas, seals the bottom, attaches a string, and fills the party room with balloons.

Crying out day and night is picking up balloons and handing them over to the father. The rest the father does.
Finally, I saw how small a work it is to cry out day and night compared to the rest that the Father does.

Lord Jesus,
Since that's all required of me, I will stop complaining.
Even if you told me to do more, I would gladly do,
for now I see how much work the Father needs to do for me.
Amen.

churchlady

Scripture

Luke 17: 6-10 

6 So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

7 And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'?
8 But will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink'?
9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.
10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.'"

Observation

The scriptures clearly reveal that God has given to each man the measure of faith (that is why truth has to be suppressed if not wanted). 

It (faith) is like a tool to accomplish a purpose.  It is my duty to use it.  Even when I do use it, I am not owed thanks from God, because I am only doing what I should do in the first place.  I need not pat myself on the back when I use what was given to me.

In verse 6, Jesus is giving us an example of what that tool can do....."pull a tree up by it's roots and cast it into the sea". 
In John 6:29 Jesus said, (in answer to the question, 'What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?'), "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Application

For me the application of this is to be tougher on myself, concerning faith.  It is my duty to believe God (not only my privilege).  I don't have the right to doubt what He says and go back and forth and feel sorry for myself, or get lazy with His promises, etc. 

'Toughen up. child of God!', I must say to myself.  My faith is to be both IN His service and AT His service for His Kingdom's sake and His Name's sake.  He gave it to me to do the work of God assigned to man.

Prayer

Father God, I desire to no longer look at my faith as mine, to do with as it suits me, but to see it as the miraculous and powerful tool that it is, to accomplish Your will on this earth in my little area of influence.

Open my eyes, Lord to the possibilities all around me and strengthen me in this resolve.  The day is evil.  I am to redeem the time, and you said that our faith is more precious than silver or gold.  Help me to guard my heart from any other attitude than this.   Amen.

This Week's Scriptures:

Quote[/SIZE]
Saturday    Jan. 17  Gen. 42,43;  Psalms 5;  Luke17
Sunday    Jan. 18  Gen. 44-46;  Luke 18
Monday   Jan. 19   Gen. 47,48;  Psalms10;  Luke 19
Tues     Jan. 20   Gen. 49,50;  Psalms 8;  Luke 20
Wednes.    Jan. 21   Exodus 1,2;  Psalms 88;  Luke 21
Thurs.     Jan. 22    Exodus 3-5;  Luke 22
Friday     Jan. 23    Exodus 6-8;  Luke 23
Saturday   Jan. 24    Exodus 9-11;  Luke 24
[/SIZE]
De Oppresso Liber

IKTCA

The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost. (Luke 19:10)

It's time for me to grow out of me-Lord relationship to Lord-The Lost-me relationship.

Lord Jesus,
I toiled all night but caught no fish.
Now I am ready to drop the net where you tell me to.
I am tired of not harvesting any.
I will go where you send me and do what you tell me.
Only do not hide your will for the Lost from me.
Amen.

IKTCA

In the daytime he was teaching in the temple,
but at night he went out and stayed on the mountain called Olivet.

Then early in the morning all the people came to him in the temple to hear him.  (Luke 21:37-38)

When did he sleep? When did he rest? Knowing it was time for his departure, he poured out all he had.

Jesus knew his hour has come to depart from this world.......he loved them (the disciples) to the end. (John 13:1)

I always wondered what was "loving to the end." Now I see. Praying for them with little or no sleep was one of the examples of "loving to the end."

Lord,
The disciples deserved your loving to the end.
But why are you loving me to the end?

IKTCA

With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. (Luke 22:15)

I used to think that the last supper was to establish the ceremony of communion. But why did Jesus say he desired to have the meal with fervent desire? After all, it was just a ceremony. He could have verbally explained to his disciples. I couldn't understand. I decided to have communion by myself, and got some wine and bread.

I prayed a while, ate bread and wine, and prayed some more. While I was praying, it came to me that the meal was not just a ceremony. Jesus was spiritually giving his body and blood to his disciples then, though the physical breaking would take place on the following day on the cross. To Jesus, it was not a ceremony. It was real.

Lord Jesus,
Breaking up your body you desired.
Shedding your blood you did in thanksgiving.
This love did not exist before the meal.
Mankind is awakened to this love at the meal.

As you commanded, I will do wine and bread in remembrance of your love.
Amen.

churchlady

This Week's Scriptures

Sunday      Jan. 25   Ex. 12,13;  Ps. 21;  Acts 1
Monday       Jan. 26   Ex. 14-16;  Acts 2
Tuesday      Jan. 27   Ex. 17-20;  Acts 3
Wednesday    Jan. 28   Ex. 21,22;  Ps. 12;  Acts 4
Thursday     Jan. 29   Ex. 23-24;  Ps. 14; Acts 5
Friday       Jan. 30   Ex. 25-27;  Acts 6
Saturday     Jan. 31   Ex. 28-29;  Acts 7

For those who like to do their reading online:

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/   (scroll down to English and pick your version)
De Oppresso Liber

churchlady

Quote from: churchlady on January 25, 2009, 02:37:17 pm
This Week's Scriptures

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/   (scroll down to English and pick your version)

Scripture

Exodus 12: 21-23

Then Moses called for all the elders of Israel and said to them, "Pick out and take lambs for yourselves according to your families, and kill the Passover lamb.

And you shall take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin, and strike the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin. And none of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning.

For the LORD will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you.

Observation

The children of Israel had a part to play in their protection from the death angel that was
about to destroy the firstborn of every Egyptian.  That part was to apply the blood.  If they
refused to do that, they had no protection.

Application

I believe that sometimes we suffer because we don't think we have a part to play in obtaining the blessings and protection of God.  We sit around waiting for God to do something when He is waiting for us to do OUR part. 

God has completed the purchase of redemption for us.
Now it is OUR part to believe it and make the application of it to our life in every area.

The blood of Jesus is just as alive and powerful now as it was then, but access to it is by grace through faith..........a living faith that DOES the word, not just hears it with mental agreement.

Prayer

Father, I don't want to be deceived into thinking that just because I read your word and have it stored up as knowledge, that it automatically makes me a doer of it (and therefore benefiting from it). 

Faith has action to it.  It has speech to it.  Out of the abundance of the heart, my mouth will reveal what is truly believed.  Let me 'apply' the blood daily to my circumstances through my choice to believe, act and speak in agreement with His sacrifice and all that it has made possible for me.  Thank You, Lord.      

Amen.
De Oppresso Liber

churchlady

Scripture

Acts 5: 1-4 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession.
2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?
4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Observation

Am I not just like Ananias and Sapphira if I sing songs that I surrender all to Jesus, or say to the Lord in prayer...'I give my all to You, Lord', and then hold back part of my life for myself, to
govern and use as I see fit? 

Application

I see such a need in my life for greater revelation of Jesus, the only thing that will loosen my hold on my own selfishness and fear.

Prayer

Reveal Yourself to me, Lord.  Open my eyes!  Give me such a revelation of YOU, that I will never recover from it, but be swallowed up in the passion of knowing You, where everything else will pale in comparison to that quest.    
Amen.

This Week's Scriptures

De Oppresso Liber

churchlady

This Week's Scriptures

Sunday      Feb. 1  Exodus 30-32;  Acts 8
Monday       Feb. 2   Ex. 33,34;  Ps. 16;  Acts 9
Tuesday      Feb. 3   Ex. 35,36;  Acts 10
Wednesday    Feb. 4   Ex. 37,38;  Ps. 19;  Acts 11 
Thursday     Feb. 5   Ex. 39,40;  Ps. 15;  Acts 12
Friday       Feb. 6   Lev. 1-3;  Acts 13   
Saturday     Feb. 7   Lev. 4-6;  Acts 14   

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/   (scroll down to English, and pick your bible version, then scroll down the version page to pick the book and chapter)

De Oppresso Liber