December 17, 2018, 05:10:24 AM

SOAP

Started by churchlady, December 02, 2008, 12:43:04 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

flaglady

March 12, 2016, 08:31:29 PM #180 Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:52:06 AM by flaglady
Scripture
1 Corinthians 13
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.  ...

Opinion
How familiar is this passage, exhorting us to be careful what we say and how we say it for fear that we do not express concern, caring, empathy, sympathy, respect or love. It's so easy to give advice or comment and come across as snippy or a bit harsh or even judgemental. We may not mean it that way but sometimes that's how it's received.

And even more so in this form of communication Jesus could have had no knowledge of - the internet. People say things - on Twitter, Facebook, a forum - that may be a throw away comment, meant to be lighthearted or even a joke but the reader doesn't read it like that and they get hurt. It's awfully difficult sometimes to put this extra something into words without the visual cues of facial expression and body language.

Application

So life is complex. Communications are complex. It's so important that we remember when speaking to another person that they are complex too, just as we are. Never take this for granted. Savour it, treasure it and experience it all in its wonderful, infinite richness and remember that God gave us this extension to our being. How wonderful! How precious it is.

Prayer

Dear Lord, never let me take communication for granted. Never let me be careless with another person's feelings. Above all, Lord, never let me take LOVE for granted. This precious emotion we all have and share. It comes from You and we can never lose it. Praise be to the God of Love!
Amen

15/03/16 21,522
18/03/16 21,640

flaglady

22/03/16   21,741

jiminpa

Anything we do for any reason other than love is a dead work at best.  Yes, communication is important, but all actions are to be done in love.  As it says, even if we give ourselves up as martyrs, but don't have love, we have done nothing at all.  Wow! 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

flaglady

April 12, 2016, 06:04:47 PM #183 Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:06:10 AM by flaglady
12/04/16  22,053
16/04/16  22,122

flaglady

April 12, 2016, 06:40:29 PM #184 Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:38:03 PM by flaglady
Scripture
Matthew 27: 45-46: 50-51
From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land.
About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”) And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.  At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

Observation

I've heard a number of discussions and sermons about this moment and while some say that it was inexplicable that God would turn away from His 'only beloved son', to me it seemed clear that there could only be one reason - Christ Jesus came to earth to "take away the sin of the world". He could only do this by literally taking it on to himself and if he did, this was why he had to descend into Hades in order to shed it and rise triumphant. Once when I was listening to a sermon on this subject, I had a vision which I really must put down on paper some time soon. It was a picture of Jesus on the cross, his whole body covered in a thick black tarry cloak that was, quite literally, the sin of the world. As I looked at it, there was a raining of big black globs of this tarry substance still falling from the sky but the drops were flying straight to the body which was fast becoming weighed down by the weight of it all, arms strained and stretched to the maximum. It was at this point when God, unable to look at such a massive conglomeration of earthly sin, had to turn away and Jesus felt him draw away, felt the sudden and awful deprivation of His Father's presence which he had been immersed in since the day of his birth. That was why he cried out in such anguish.

Application
When you look at the crucifixion like this, it brings home to the faithful, just how great and how terrible was the sacrifice Jesus made, how great the sacrifice God made and how extraordinary was the love that made it possible or the sin that made it necessary.

So the veil was torn from top to bottom so that there was no longer barrier between God and His people. We no longer needed prophets and priests to interceded for us. We could do it for ourselves, person to person but only because of what Jesus had done in cleansing everything and everyone so that when God looks at us, he no longer sees us as the truly sinful creatures we are, he only sees that which was purified by the blood of the ultimate lamb, the Lamb of God - Jesus.

Prayer
Lord God, it is beyond our human comprehension to truly understand or envisage what Jesus did for us. We are so ignorant it defies our richest imagination and yet it is there, described in detail in the Bible, in the words of your disciples who witnessed it. But they only saw the physical facts of that terrible day, they never saw or understood this from Your point of view. Through Your Word to me, I have attempted to put it into poor words but even so, it lacks the true meaning of it for you and for your Son.

We can only go down on our knees and thank you that you cause it to happen so we could address ourselves to you and experience Your wonderful, forgiving and everlasting love. Praise Your Holy Name.

19/04/16  22,220

flaglady

May 20, 2016, 08:25:17 AM #185 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:05:45 AM by flaglady
May 20, 2016 22,853 Views
May 26, 2016 22,911 Views

flaglady

I love this forum. It truly is an oasis to me as it's the only place I have to read about and write about my relationship with the Lord. So I like to keep this thread going and consequently, here is another offering!

Scripture
Mark 2:17
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Observation
Every day I have to take tablets to keep myself healthy. Some are for diabetes, one is for a stomach problem and so on. All these conditions are pretty much self-inflicted. As a nurse, I know that both those are due to being overweight. It would be so easy to say 'oh just lose some weight and you'll be fine' and I know that to be true but it's not that simple. So I take my pills. In the same way, I should read my Bible. I don't always and so don't I lose out on the very thing that would give me health and well being, both physically and spiritually?

Application
Why do I do this? I have no idea. It's just getting into the habit, I suppose. There was a time I'd sooner not go to bed at all than go without doing my daily bible reading (Every Day With Jesus was a great resource for that!) but whether I really got anything from it or not was questionable. I've read the Bible right through three times and though it was interesting, did I really get anything from it? I think not, because I never had anyone to discuss it with. And therein lies the issue. We need to share and explore what we read of the Holy Text in order to benefit from it - don't we?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, you know my heart better than I do. I know You are daily with me when I work on BoneSmart. I hear and feel Your precious whispers as I seek to give answers and support to needy and hurting people. Therefore I know you are a real presence in my life. Give me Your word, Lord, on how I am to use the Holy Scriptures to strengthen and validate my life in You. We all need to hear or feel Your presence and Your guidance.

Speak Lord, for your servant is listening.

(
1 Samuel 3:9 So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’”)

flaglady

May 29, 2016, 05:55:57 PM #187 Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:57:38 PM by flaglady
May 29/05/16 Views 23,017
May 31/05/16 Views 23,031

flaglady

June 10, 2016 23,175 views

Go Up