May 20th 2012 - 6470
June 19th 2012 - 6730
March 16 2013 - 8899
June 15 2013 - 9712
January 13 2014 - 1,1392

So you're still reading this then!

flaglady

SCRIPTURE
I found there are several instances where Jesus chose or was required to be on his own

Matthew 4:1Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Matthew 14:13 When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place.
Mark 1:35  Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Luke 4:42 At daybreak, Jesus went out to a solitary place.

OBSERVATION
A state of solitude is often a considered to be a negative thing. Being a person who lives on her own and has done for well over 50 years, it can be negative but at the same time it can be a positive thing too. I watch my older sisters struggling to cope with their ageing and ailing husbands and think how lucky I am not to have such a burden. But I also know how much I regret not having children and grandchildren. There is always a pay-off in these things.

ACTION

These days of solitude I can put to use as I wish. I can pootle around on the computer, do some house work, go out shopping as and when I wish. But some days, I just really wish I had someone I could phone and say let's go out for a meal. In those times, I invariably think I Jesus alone in the wilderness being tempted. Then again, I think of him seeking solitude to get away from the crowds so he can spend some time communing with the Father. What precious times they must have been.

And then I think, I have those precious times also. I can commune with the Father any time I like and for as long as I like. No interference, no other jobs pressing to be done, even if there is a heap of washing up or ironing to be done! It can wait. Time with the Father can't.

PRAYER

My dearest, beloved and loving Father, thank you for giving me the freedom to come to you and speak with you any time I like. There are many who do not have that privilege. There are many who do so in fear of death because our faith is against the laws of the country. You have placed me in a country where I have the freedom to express my faith. The freedom to pray to you and acknowledge you as my God and my Saviour. Blessed be Your Name, Father, Saviour, loving and everlasting God.

AMEN

flaglady

SCRIPTURE

2 Timothy 1
For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

OBSERVATION

With recent discussion about the future of this form, I was moved to make this small medication on the topic. And the word that kept coming to me was LOYALTY. Paul adjured Timothy to remember his loyalty to Paul and the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be strong, powerful, filled with love and self-discipline in the love of Christ.

It's all too easy to wander away from that which feeds and nourishes us but return to it we must if we are to develop and grow in the love of our Lord Jesus.

ACTION

We should gather together with those in whom the Holy Spirit dwells, commune  and fellowship with them

PRAYER

Heavenly Father, this place was created for a reason. Its name was chosen with purpose and that purpose was you! We pray only that this  community will draw together again, celebrate your Holy Name and rejoice in the presence of your Holy Spirit. In the name of our saviour, Christ Jesus, make it come alive again.

jiminpa

Quote from: flaglady on February 06, 2014, 05:41:50 pm

PRAYER

Heavenly Father, this place was created for a reason. Its name was chosen with purpose and that purpose was you! We pray only that this  community will draw together again, celebrate your Holy Name and rejoice in the presence of your Holy Spirit. In the name of our saviour, Christ Jesus, make it come alive again.
Amen!
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Yitzchak

Here is one.

Scripture
QuoteGen 15:6  And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

QuoteRom 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

observation
In the Hebrew , the word for believe in this verse is aman. Which is a form of the word amen. One of the basic ideas is that to have faith means to agree with God.

The Greek word in Romans for confess is homologeo. which is composed of two Greek words. Homo means to agree and logos means to speak. So literally speak our agreement.

So in the Romans verse , there is believe in my heart which is the Greek word for faith. So knowing the back round of the word faith in the Hebrew. It says agree in my heart and also agree with my words.(homologeo)

action

I study the word of God and pray and discover the will of God. Then I bring myself into agreement with God which is a place of faith. Both in my heart and in my words.

prayer

I pray that my words and thoughts will be in agreement with God.

To know him and to make him known

flaglady

Yay! Thank you for those posts, brothers! It's good to read them!

Yitzchak

Scripture

QuoteMat 2:12  And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
Mat 2:13  And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
Mat 2:14  When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

Observation
  This situation was far from perfect in the way that I see perfect. Being warned in a dream , people after them and having to flee. Not what I would have expected for the most important person who ever lived , meaning Jesus.

Action
  I can't go by the outward appearance of a situation. God sometimes delivers us from having trouble and sometimes He delivers us right in the middle of trouble. My action is to trust God , no matter how many people come against me and how chaotic the situation seems.

prayer
I pray that God watches over me and protects me so that I can fulfill the calling on my life.

Yitzchak

Scripture

QuoteGen 15:6  And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Observation
The word God can is a title rather than a personal name.  In the English , we usually distinguish by using a capital G in the word God if we mean the one true God. We use the lower case g for a false god. But in the Hebrew , different verses use different names of God. There are hundreds of them , but there are around a dozen or so that are the names which occur over and over. In this verse is one of those times. The name used in this verse for Lord is Yahweh. It is where the name Jehovah comes from. But Jehovah is a sort of half English / half Hebrew version. There is no J sound in the Hebrew so the J is a y in Hebrew. Anyway , The actual Hebrew is Yahweh.
   By saying that Abraham believed in Yahweh , it makes it very specific. Abraham did not simply believe in some unknown or unspecified higher power as they like to do in the twelve steps programs. Abraham believed in Yahweh which is the name the Scripture uses for the more personal Covenant making God of Israel.
  So I see two things here. One , that our belief is to be in the specific one true God. And two that it is to be in Him as opposed to in the situation. We can have faith for situations , i think. But the saving Faith that Abraham had which the New Testament uses as an example of true saving faith is in Yahweh.

Action

My action is that I will focus my attention on believing in the one true God. I believe in Jesus and have a relationship with him. I don't just believe a set of doctrines ( although that is important ) or believe for certain blessings ( although that is true also ). I believe in God , first and foremost.

Prayer

Lord God , I resolve to keep my faith pure by focusing it upon You. I ask your help to do that. In Jesus name , amen.

Bryan

SCRIPTURE

She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."  (Matthew 1:21 NIV)

OBSERVATION

The Prophet who was to come was on the way.  The plan of God was beginning to take shape.  A lowly, poor virgin girl was about to give birth to a King, a Savior, to God!  What a tremendous, extraordinary event was happening.  God was no longer allowing people to suffer under the oppression of the Mosaic Law anymore!  He saw that if we were ever to draw near Him we would need help.  So His plan was to offer Himself!  Not to expect more from us than what we already had tried.  Even the most pious and righteous fell far too short of His standard!

APPLICATION

"to save" is meant here not just in the eternal life sense.  sozo is a Greek term for utter deliverance from evil, harm, and peril.  Jesus did not come just to bandage our wounds (in a spiritual sense) He came to eradicate them, make them a thing of the past, to free us completely from the power sin (and the flesh) had over us.  And He did!  Glory He saved us!  "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved (sozo)." (Acts 16:31) Sin no longer has dominion over us in Him! (Romans 6:14)  All the old has died and we have been reborn into a new existence.  (2 Cor 5:17)

PRAYER

Jesus...  You. Are. Incredible.  Prince of peace, the Almighty!  Thank you Jesus for what you have given us!  For the love that flowed from your veins on the cross!  Jesus, You are worthy!  Thank you for breaking the chains that held us down.  For defeating the devil and making him powerless over us!  Lord, I love you!  I praise you Jesus!  You are the risen Son of God!  Death itself had no hold over you and it has no hold over us because of You!  Hallelujah!  Increase the revelation of your presence in us Lord!  Fill us with the thoughts and realities of our place in heaven in You Lord!  That no mountain is too steep, no valley to low, no sea to wide, no obstacle to great to separate us from You and Your love!  Thank you Jesus!
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bryan

May 08, 2014, 06:28:13 am #169 Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:40:46 am by Bryan
SCRIPTURE

And the Lord said, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground. (Genesis 4:10 ESV)

OBSERVATION

Cain had just slew Abel over the issue of their offerings.  He was full of wrath and fury that his younger brother's offering was accepted by God while His was not.  So he took Abel to the field and slew him there.  We see here that the blood of Abel was crying out to God from the ground it slipped on.  For vengeance?  Perhaps.  But what we can see for certain is that blood speaks.

APPLICATION

There's actually a few applications to be taken from this.  First, that even when you think you have gotten away with something, God knows what you have done.  Cain, for all we know, would have gotten away with this murder had God not confronted him about it.  God knows the secrets that we sometimes think no one else does.  Secondly (and more importantly), when Jesus slipped His blood for us on the cross we were given access to the Father by that offering.  By it we are forever cleansed and made holy and righteous in God's eyes because of the blood offered.  When the accuser stands to condemn us for the sins we have committed, the blood cries out on our behalf and declares us innocent.  We are under the blood, Jesus blood, and He will never let us fall into condemnation again.

PRAYER

Lord, thank you for your blood!  Thank you Jesus for spilling you blood for me even while I was in sin.  I had no right to claim your sacrifice as my own and yet you offered it for me anyway.  By your blood Lord I am free, set free from the power sin had over me.  Not just the inability to escape sin, but the condemnation sin brought into my life.  You took that on the cross, in love and grace, and you ABOLISHED that price forever through the sacrifice of your blood Jesus and I want to say THANK YOU!  Thank You Jesus for delivering me!  Thank You Jesus for cleansing me!  Thank You Jesus for helping me in my hour of need!  By your blood I am healed and forgiven, and through your blood Jesus I will be saved!
[/quote]
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bryan

SCRIPTURE

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." (Matthew 4:1-3 NIV)

OBSERVATION

Jesus had just been baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit.  We see He is immediately led by the Spirit to confront the devil in the wilderness.  What is the first temptation?  Satan challenges Jesus concerning His status as Son of God, his identity.  How many times are we led into a wilderness and think we got ourselves there?  How many times do we think God led us into a wilderness to punish us?  No, it's not so.  Sometimes we are led into a wilderness to confront our adversaries and be strengthened in faith.

APPLICATION

What is our identity in Christ?  The very righteousness of God (1 Cor 1:30; 2 Cor 5:17), holy (1 Cor 1:30; Heb 10:10) justified in the sight of God.  We are his children!  Heirs to eternal life and all the promises of Abraham!  So the Spirit leads us into a wilderness to have us confront the accuser.  Satan will challenge us.  He will challenge who we are!  We've all had the I'm so unworthy moments.  That is not us being so pious and humble, that is us believing and agreeing with satan that we are not who we were redeemed to be.  If he can get us to deny our place in christ then we have no backing on which to confront him and defeat him in the future.  Take your stand on Christ and who you are in him!  Tell that old liar to get lost and be ever mindful of the One who gave himself for you!  (Romans 8:5-6; Col 3:1-3; Phil 4:8; 2 Cor 10:5)

PRAYER

Jesus, renew us in Spirit!  Bring fresh revelation of the grace you have bestowed upon us!  May your light and love shine in us and through us Lord!  Strengthen us Jesus to confront the devil during the evil day!  Always bring us into remembrance of who we are in you and what you have given us by shedding your blood for us!  I praise you Jesus and beseech you on behalf of all saints to strengthen your church with might and power in the Holy Spirit.  May we be fruitful, fully pleasing you in every work we do.  May wisdom and revelation come to all believers so we may know you Lord!  Remind us Lord that we are holy because of you, we are righteous by your blood!  We need not dwell on the past, because it is erased and forgotten.  Let us press forward into the future, full of faith and grace Lord Jesus!
[/quote]

Bryan

SCRIPTURE

But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him. (Psalm 4:3 ESV)
If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you. (Proverbs 1:23 ESV)
Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. (Jeremiah 33:3 ESV)

OBSERVATION

The power of prayer and the marvelous revelation that the God of the Universe not only hears us but answers us is truly awesome!  Many times in scripture God tells us to call to Him and He promises an answer will come. 

APPLICATION

Now many times we grow discouraged as we may not have heard His voice in a while, if ever.  Dear friends, that is not a fault of anybody but our own.  The man after God's own heart gives us the great key to hearing the Lord's voice:

I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. (Psalm 40:1 ESV)
But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer. (Psalm 38:15 ESV)
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. (Psalm 62:5 ESV)

Wait on Him!  Sit silently in His presence (Ps 62:1, 5) and listen for Him to answer you.  He will.  May these words resound within all of us as we seek to grow in Him:

Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah (Psalm 62:8 ESV)

PRAYER

Oh Lord, on you do I call!  You are the answer to all our prayers, for what can we be denied when we are walking closely with you oh Lord?  I love you Jesus!  I thank you Lord for your many graces and mercies that have sustained me and carried me through.  Lord I pray on behalf of all saints and ask that "according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:16-19 ESV)

Now to You oh Lord who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20, 21 ESV)
[/quote]

flaglady

Bryan, those a fantastic! I loved reading them. Thank you so much for posting.

flaglady

May 20th 2012 - 6,470
June 19th 2012 - 6,730
March 16 2013 - 8,899
June 15 2013 - 9,712January 13 2014 - 11,392
May 11, 2014 - 12,343

So glad you're all still reading this! AWEsome!

flaglady

January 13 2014 - 11,392
May 11, 2014 - 12,343
October 26, 2014  14,756

No posts since May? Got to do something about this! :amen:

Bryan

I honestly forgot all about this thread...  :banghead:

I will get something together if I am still allowed to do so, considering how things have been with me lately....  :)

Bryan

SCRIPTURE

Zechariah 4:6 NASB "Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts."

OBSERVATION

This prophet spoke these words to a man of God that was responsible for leading the people of God into the tasks set before them.  Zerubbabel was the leader of the returned captives.  He was charged with their safe keeping, but not just the safety of the community but its rebuilding mission.  We learn from Nehemiah 2 that Jerusalem was still on fire 70 years after its destruction at the hands of the Babylonians!  That gives some idea of the amount of devastation that ensued there. 

Zerubbabel had a tremendously difficult job ahead of him.  We know from scripture that after committing to the LORD's work, he stalled out and began to be side tracked.  This is probably when these words of Zechariah were spoken to him.  I imagine Zerubbabel was overwhelmed with the burden of the mission, but the mission was never intended to overwhelm him.  God reminded him that only through his Spirit would Zerubbabel lead God's people to success and prosperity!  This is the word for us today!

APPLICATION

Stop trying to accomplish everything on your own, that is through your own means.  The job is too difficult, but the awesome thing is that it was meant that way.  Not because God enjoys seeing us suffer under stress and anxiety but because he wants us to remember he alone is our source of life.  Only from him can we find success and be prosperous!  He always acts with our best intentions at heart.  What better course of action do any of us have but to fall down on our knees before an Almighty God and cry out, "Lord, I can NOT do this unless you help me!"  May that be the cry and desire of our heart today!

PRAYER

Father in glory, hallowed be thy name!  I cry out to you Father, from the depth and depravity of my wanderings.  Save me!  Help me!  Lead me!  I can not do your work unless you alone oh LORD grant me the ability to do so.  I submit to your Holy Spirit.  I ask that you work around my dumb, deaf, calloused heart and teach me in ways I can understand.  Spirit, lead me!  Spirit, help me!  I trust in you Holy Spirit of God, I depend upon you for I can not move another step unless you direct me!

Bryan

SCRIPTURE

Luke 4:1 NLT  Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness,

Luke 4:14 NLT  Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit's power. Reports about Him spread quickly through the whole region.

OBSERVATION

Jesus received the Holy Spirit "without measure" beginning at his baptism in water as recorded in all 4 gospels.  Immediately upon leaving the Jordan River he is led by the Spirit to go into the wilderness.  The wilderness is a topic all on its own for another day.  What is important here in this passage, an important precedent Jesus was setting for all to come after him, is those who are full of the Holy Spirit are led by the Holy Spirit.

You see it's becoming commonplace for the people of God to cry and pray and plead for a filling of the Holy Spirit then whether they receive it or not, go on about their daily lives doing their own thing, their own work.  God doesn't give us the Holy Spirit for him to submit to us.  He gives us the Holy Spirit because we have pledged to submit to him.  Jesus Christ is Lord!  We cry out, Father, send me the Holy Spirit.  But what change does that bring about? 

We think because we enter a wilderness apart from God's blessing and God's word that we have sinned.  That is not the case.  Many times, the Spirit is the one that leads us into the wilderness to test the genuineness of our faith.  Will we really be faithful to the pledge we made?  If we are faithful, as Jesus, we will indeed walk full of the Spirit's power and receive the ministry of angels (Matthew 4:11).

APPLICATION

Those who are full of the Spirit are those who are led by the Spirit.  Do you know someone that lives a rather worldly life and yet claims to be full of the Spirit?  To be true, they may be full of something but it cannot be the Holy Spirit of God.  Those who have God's seed in them cannot make a habit of sinning (1 John).  The fruit of the Spirit is love...  Love for God always shows in love for people.  May we be alert in the Spirit, submissive to his leading, even if into a wilderness.  In fact, if I must pass through the wilderness, as Jesus and Paul did (Galatians 1:17), to experience the full power of the Spirit, I will embrace it and pray for the strength to endure.  When all you can do is stand on promises God has given you and the word he has spoken to you, keep standing.  For you have the Spirit of God with you and he will never leave you nor forsake you.

PRAYER

Oh Holy Spirit, sent from the Father by the precious hands of Jesus.  The promised one from old.  Spoken of by the Prophets.  Come!  Forgive me for all of my failures.  Forgive me of my stubbornness.  Break me as the wild stallion must be broken, so that you may have full control and reign in my life.  I may not enjoy it, in fact I'm sure I won't, but remind me of the gentleness and care for which you give.  In order for you to be my Comforter, I must be uncomfortable, lead me into the wilderness so your power may rest upon me I beseech you!

flaglady

February 25, 2016, 02:00:21 pm #178 Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:30:09 pm by flaglady
Scripture
Luke 5:16   But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Observation
I'm now in a wilderness having lost interest in the church I started going to. I had high hopes at first but it ultimately proved to not to be 'the place'. So now here I am at home again, alone again and my only contact with the outside world is my sister and my co-admin on BoneSmart who I phone on an almost daily basis (tbh, my sister and I phone each other 3-4 times a day because she's in much the same state)

But I find myself leaning more and more on God, praying more and conversing with him in a social way that I never would have years ago.

Application
Praying as you do your housework, watch TV (yes it is possible!) or typing on the laptop is very soothing and empowering.

Prayer
Dear Lord, meet me in the lonely places - those in my life, my home and my heart. Though I am deprived of social contact, I am never without your presence and that makes me feel very precious and loved.

25/02/16 21,053
28/02/16 21,107
01/03/16 21,125

flaglady

13/03/16 21,498