November 26, 2020, 02:34:21 am

SOAP

Started by churchlady, December 02, 2008, 12:43:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

I read about it Jo and I'm praying with you.  For those effected to come to our sweet FAther for comfort and peace.

Thank you for the reminder.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

Foadle

I agreement with the prayers prayed here

flaglady

Scripture

Luke 12:14Then he said to them,   "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life   does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

Observation

Isn't it amazing how much of our media is concerned with acquiring things? Shops in the streets, shops in the mall, shops online, even shopping channels! It all reminds me of Gollum (also called Smeagol) in the Lord of the Rings. He had been a normal Hobbitt, pleasant and harmless, generous and kindly. But he came upon The Ring and lusted after it so badly it corrupted his mind and body totally.

Gollum: We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us.   Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

A fairly obvious characterisation of man as perceived by J R R Tolkien. But it could be argued he wasn't far from truth. It's in our nature and how well the devil knows how to take advantage of our nature.

Action

Isn't it easy now to see something we want or even fancy and click a button on the computer and voila!  we has it! I currently have a couple of boxes of 'stuff' waiting to be sold on Ebay. Things I've bought, unwanted presents - all destined to join someone else's 'stuff'. I remember a time when all I had I could put into one suitcase!

Prayer

Lord, let me not worship 'stuff'. I don't want 'stuff' to be a god in my life. You are my only God and I want only to worship You.

DianeL

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

flaglady

October 29, 2010, 05:19:34 pm #144 Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:20:38 pm by flaglady
SCRIPTURE
Proverbs 18:10

The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to   it and are safe.

OBSERVATION
This is a familiar verse, we all know the song, it's a great one to sing in church and the kids love it!
But do we really take this to heart all day and every day?
Do we run into the tower of the Lord? Always?

You know that when we do, His love, strength and wisdom are there for us in abundance.

Remember
Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is   something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
Ecclesiastes 1:10

Yes, we frequently and loudly proclaim how we have found the strength of the Lord in our troubles as if it was something new and yet it was there all the time and has been since the beginning of time!

ACTION
We should make it our business to be constantly aware of the Lord's tower and how it is available to us at all times and in all circumstances. It takes commitment and endeavour. It takes faith. But the Lord is there; has always been and will always be so.

PRAYER
Praise to You, oh Lord, who is constant in His love, His discipline and His generosity.
How it must sadden You when we fail to run to You for comfort and strength.
How wonderful it is that when we finally come, You are never sparing with Your open arms and gracious mercy.

Praise be to You, oh God! Praise be to You.

flaglady

SCRIPTURE
Isaiah 6:3
And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;  the whole earth is full of his glory.”

OBSERVATION
I seem to have had quite a few flag orders of late. When I sit upstairs, cutting the fabric, pinning and sewing it, I like to listen to a cd I have of Roy Fields's worship during the Florida outpouring in 2008 and it includes this song.

It speaks to me as I work on the flags, it keeps reminding me that these flags are going to all corners of the UK to be used in worship and to glorify the Name of the Father.

Do you know how special that is for me? How important? Just the knowledge that the works of my hands are being used all over the place in worship. I haven't been to church in two years as I cannot find a church that is sufficiently Pentecostal for me. I like to be active when I worship.

But this afternoon, the Spirit really spoke to me whilst working and listening to this song. He was feeding into my heart that THIS is my worship right now, THIS is my song and my prayer.

I thought you might like to share in it too

This is a realm of Your glory
This is a realm of Your grace
I can feel Your mighty power
It is moving in this place
We’re in the presence of angels
With God’s glory on their wings
Like the voice of many waters
I can hear the angels sing
Holy, holy, holy, holy
Worthy, worthy, worthy, worthy
Glory, glory, glory, glory
This is a realm of Your glory
This is a realm of Your grace
All my heart’s desire is to see Your face

Roy Fields - In The Presence Of Angels

ACTION

Much as I regret not being part of a fellowship right now, I am content because I know I can worship and pray at home on my own. I have never doubted, no, not for one moment, that God resides in my house. Isn't that something?

PRAYER

Father God, my heart, my hands and my voice are at your command.

My praises ring in this dwelling and my heart all but bursts with love for You.

Praises to You, oh my God and my King!

Optimax

Your heart and desire is so much toward God! :amen:

flaglady

Why thank you, my friend. I appreciate that.

sharonl

That is so beautiful Jo - I can relate to you totally - I have not been in church for several years for the same reason - my husband and I get more out of worshiping at home than in the churches around us - they are so dry that I come home and cry.  God is smiling down on you as you worship - your worship is not lost - the Glory surrounds you as if you were in the middle of a large congregation.

I have felt guilty because I don't go to church, but I have not felt any condemnation.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

flaglady

Thank you, Sharon. I was thinking of you at the time as well ...

flaglady

May 20th 6470
June 19th 6730

flaglady

SCRIPTURE

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8There is a time   for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die,a time to plant and a time to uproot,  a time to kill and a time to heal,a time to tear down and a time to build,a time to weep and a time to laugh,a time to mourn and a time to dance,a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,a time to search and a time to give up,a time to keep and a time to throw away,a time to tear and a time to mend,a time to be silent   and a time to speak,a time to love and a time to hate,a time for war and a time for peace.

OBSERVATION
I happened to tune into the GodTV channel this morning and there was Brian Houston (Hillsong Sydney) preaching about the constancy of God and the transient nature of us. Everything we do or have is transient; our thoughts, our intentions, our goals, our desires, even our callings. None of it is forever. We can aspire to have dreams and goals that we yearn to achieve, It made me think about a lot of things: my flags, my work, health, wealth and happiness and depression. They all come for a time and then go away, sometimes forever, and sometimes to return.

ACTION
But is that a cause to feel you've let go of things forever? No indeed. We never know, in these transient periods, when we are going to enjoy or struggle through certain things again. The only thing we have that is constant and everlasting is God, our rock, our strong foundation and everlasting comforter. Hang on tight always!

PRAYER
Dear Lord, our Father God and eternal Saviour, we know we can always trust in you. Thank you for being there for us and never, ever letting us down. Our prayer today is that You would breathe life back into this forum where Your graciousness and favour has always been exhaulted

In Jesus' Holy Name. Amen

flaglady

May 20th 2012 - 6470
June 19th 2012 - 6730
March 16 2013 - 8899

So you're still reading this then!

flaglady

I'm going to stray a little from the format:

I was musing on what the Bible had to say about loneliness and made some surprising finds. There are a small number of quotations referring to man being alone such as these:

Genesis 2:18  The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

1 Samuel 21:1   Why are you alone? Why is no one with you?

Job 7:16   Let me alone; my days have no meaning.

Psalm 102:7  I lie awake; I have become  like a bird alone on a roof.

Ecclesiastes 4:11 how can one keep warm alone?

Isaiah 63:3  I have trodden the winepress alone;  from the nations no one was with me.

1 Timothy 5:5  The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God

But I was intrigued to find loads of comments referring to God ALONE. It made me think: He is alone, in his One-ness, He is alone and has no companion, no partner, no-one of his kind to keep company with.

Except

So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

He was alone until He created Man. What must the depths of His loneliness have been that he sort to create a companion with whom he could have a relationship. And if it's not 'normal' for God to be alone and lonely, then it's not normal for me. Which rather accounts for the fact that I feel so dreadful when the evidence of my aloneness confronts me. But God knows how I feel and understands. Amazing!

flaglady

In case you all wondered why this topic, it's because it's now midnight Saturday and 30 whole hours since I last spoke to another human being ...

jiminpa

Quote from: flaglady on March 16, 2013, 08:05:32 pm
In case you all wondered why this topic, it's because it's now midnight Saturday and 30 whole hours since I last spoke to another human being ...

Aw Jo, you should always have someone to talk to.  I pray that God will send good Christian friends your way. 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

flaglady

Thank you, Jim. That's very sweet of you.

However, I shouldn't be so gloomy really - just had a meeting with my financial advisor and learned that I've now moved into the 'upper income' bracket meaning that some of my money will be taxed at 40%  

I think I can safely say that God has really blessed me in my autumn years ....

flaglady

Scripture
1 Corinthians 13:13
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Opinion
Apparently there are now over 7 billion people on this planet growing at a rate of 1 million a day. If God is present as love in each beating human heart, that's an awful lot of love on this earth. So why are there so many wars, dictatorships and despots, so many areas smitten with drought, disease and poverty? I could list all the incidences that are in my mind as I am writing this but I know you're all more than familiar with them as am I. So why do they exist? Is it because satan has got at the hearts of the big corporations, infested them with greed and self-serving power that sees millions being spent on advertising and bonuses instead of feeding the poor? Has satan got at the hearts of politicians and world leaders causing them to stock great mountains of food and fuel instead of spreading it around where it's so desperately needed?

It's estimated that in the EEC there are 'mountains' of butter, milk, wine, maple syrup, eggs (powered I trust!), meat and timber - total value some several billions of Euros. These are held back to artificially inflate the high street costs of every kind of product to to average 'man in the street'. So what does this do - it makes these foodstuffs a veritable dream for the families starving in famine struck Africa and war torn Syria.

Where is the love that God wanted us to have in this world? If Jesus died to bring us that love, how come it's not being passed to those in greatest need (at home and abroad).

Application

And yes, I know there are heaps of charitable organisations out there doing what it can to bring succour to the needy. Water Aid seeks to install fresh water wells in African villages, Christian Aid brings food and medicines to refugees from drought and war, The Buy a Cow organisation has a neat way for us to use our gift giving to bless an impoverished family with anything from a cow to laying chickens and The Brooke Animal Charity goes out and about all over the world to aid beast of burden suffering at the hands of uneducated owners with treatment for the animals and education for the owners so they will get the best out of and for their prize possessions which are veritable lifelines for their owners and their families.

But it's not enough. We need to pray more. We need to stir the hearts of those in and with power, to have them collaborate more, bring the world together in a vision not unlike that of "Star Trek" where our children could proudly say "poverty has been abolished". Wouldn't that be a reckoning of love, a realisation of all that Jesus died for and stands for.

Prayer

Dear Father in Heaven, please teach us to pray. Stir our hearts to pray more in faith and with more fervour than we have ever done before. May we have such passion that we stir your loving heart to crack open the marble hearts of those in power who  have skewed ideas about right and wrong, who stand on podiums declaring their intentions to make a difference and may even truly intend to but bureaucracy gets in their way and their good intentions come to naught. Dear Father, stir us to stir you that you in turn will be moved to affect a sea change in the hearts of the mighty and powerful whether they be legal or criminal - may their wealth turn to dust until it is watered by the blessed rains of your Holy Spirit.

In Jesus' Holy Name
Amen

flaglady

May 20th 2012 - 6470
June 19th 2012 - 6730
March 16 2013 - 8899
June 15 2013 - 9712

So you're still reading this then!  ;)

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Ecc 1:9-11 KJV  The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.  (10)  Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.  (11)  There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

it seems as though the world is getting worse as time goes by; but while our modern age of instant communications spreads the bad news more effectively, i often think that there are no streets lined with crucified bodies now as there were in Jesus' day.  according to the scripture above, there is nothing new 'under the sun' - which to me says 'without the leading of the Lord'.  each generation ignores the wisdom of the one before, and passes no wisdom to the one after; all wisdom must come to each person directly from God through fellowship with Him.

it's all too easy to become distracted by what's happening 'under the sun', and lose track of what's available 'above the sun' - which is to say what's available by being led by God.  too often people react based on knowledge without understanding, failing to seek God's leading before they act.  we all have a tendency to metaphorically look to God and say 'i got this one Lord; i know what to do here'.  whenever i make a decision without at least seeking guidance, i miss an already-available blessing at the least and take on a temporary curse at the most.  thank God that He looks at the intent of my heart and not at my performance!

Father God, i know that You are always providing me with guidance, and that i am not able to make the right decisions without being led by You.  thank You that You look at my heart, so that when i follow Your leading Your Kingdom is advanced in the earth and i am protected and prospered even though i might suffer persecution in the near term.  thank You that when i miss it and make my own decisions, You look at my heart and through Your grace i am protected even though i might suffer for a while from the effects of my bad decisions.  thank You that You have faith in me, even when i don't act in faith in You; thank You for choosing me, and that You never make a mistake!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.