December 17, 2018, 05:46:32 AM

SOAP

Started by churchlady, December 02, 2008, 12:43:04 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

churchlady

[SIZE=3]Have any of you heard of SOAP?  It's a daily Bible study plan for a year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]S (scripture)   O (observation)   A (application)   P(prayer)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My church does this online to promote everyone reading the Word, and then sharing thoughts on it with each other.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I don't know if anyone here would like to do this on this board or not.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Here is an example of one of mine from Sunday's reading (Romans 1-4)  Anyone interested?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][I][B]Subject:[/B][/I] soap : Sunday Nov 30, 2008 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#a5a5a5][SIZE=5]S[/SIZE][/COLOR]cripture[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Romans 4: 19-21  [I]And not being weak in faith, [B]he did not consider[/B] his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb. [/I][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=#000000]He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, [/COLOR][/I]
[/SIZE][I][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]And being fully convinced that [/SIZE][B][SIZE=3]what He had promised He was also able to perform[/SIZE].[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0a0a0]O[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]bservation[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Our job is not to look at the impossibilities all around us (Abraham "did not consider his own body"), but[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]to look with a steady gaze at what God has promised us (revelation in an area of our life), and trust Him [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]to get us there.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Between the place of "not considering" and "looking unto the promise" is a place of deliberate choice to enter into rest and cease from our works.  This rest is not passive, but the activity of a living growing Word in us breathed on by the Holy Spirit. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]We can't make the promise happen, ..............it starts with Him and ends with [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Him.  He is the author of our faith as well as finisher of it  [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]and everything in between.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]If we try to MAKE it happen, we produce Ishmael's.  But our living faith will flow out[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Into action, from within that inner core where we are joined to His Spirit.[/COLOR]

[/SIZE][B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0a0a0]A[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]pplication[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]This truth hits me with such relief, such awe, such gratitude, such rest of soul.  All I[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]can do is respond in thanksgiving.........in praise..........and in worship.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]What a glorious gospel this is![/COLOR]

[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0a0a0]P[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]rayer[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Father, there is something in mankind that makes us want to revert back to [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]performance and earning those promises.  But Your patience and long suffering[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]to bring us from faith to faith and glory to glory eventually establishes us in[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Your ways that are so much higher and beyond what we dreamed of.  Thank You[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Lord for this patient inward work of transformation that gently leads us in the[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]paths of life.  What a great and marvelous God You are! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]De Oppresso Liber[/SIZE][/FONT]

JTM³

Yeah, actually.

We do that at our church.

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Pete

If I'm hearing you right, you read the Bible plan for that day, select a passage of scripture from that reading, and then write the SOAP?

Is that how it works?
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

churchlady

Quote from: Pete on December 02, 2008, 08:54:06 AM
If I'm hearing you right, you read the Bible plan for that day, select a passage of scripture from that reading, and then write the SOAP?

Is that how it works?

[SIZE=3]Yep, that's it exactly.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It's really an encouragement when a lot of people are doing this together[/SIZE].

Pete

Sounds pretty good.  It'd be interesting to see all the different things God was speaking to different people using the exact same scriptures.

Alpine

To be honest, when I saw the title of this thread this is what came to mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

churchlady

Quote from: Pete on December 02, 2008, 10:47:22 AM
Sounds pretty good.  It'd be interesting to see all the different things God was speaking to different people using the exact same scriptures.

[SIZE=3]Yes, it's good to see the exact same scriptures through other's perspective and what the Holy Spirit shows them.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I read the Bible in the morning but rarely get my SOAP done until sometime that night.  And there are some nights that I don't get it done.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Today's scriptures are Romans 9-12 if anyone here wants to try it and post what they get.[/SIZE]

churchlady

Quote from: Alpine on December 02, 2008, 11:07:45 AM
To be honest, when I saw the title of this thread this is what came to mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_(TV_series)[/URL]

[SIZE=3]Oh yeah, I remember Billy Chrystal playing the gay son.  [/SIZE]

flaglady

Church I went to before I moved used it

Pete

I'm at work right now, but I'll give it a try this evening and see what I get.

DianeL

This a great! Churchlady, I needed to hear that tonite. Thanks so much for posting it (especially your Observation portion and Prayer).  I have a close friend recently diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma (malignant cancer - grapefruit size tumour on the right shoulder).
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Pete

All right, let me give this a try...

[B]S[/B]cripture:[/SIZE]

[I][B][COLOR=#ff0000]Romans 12:17-21 (NIV)[/COLOR][/B][/I]
[I][COLOR=#ff0000]17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:
   "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
   In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.[/COLOR][/I]

[SIZE=3][B]O[/B]bservation:[/SIZE]

This scripture goes contrary to our human nature.  When someone does us wrong, we immediately think of how we can "get them back".  We think that it is our responsibility to avenge our character, our integrity, etc., while not realizing that it is the Lord's to avenge, not our's.  We all learn "The Golden Rule" in Sunday School, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", but somewhere along the line, we've forgotten that scripture and instead read it as "Do unto others as they have done unto you."

This scripture also goes hand in hand with 1 Corinthians 13:5, which says that Love pays no attention to, and keeps no record of, a suffered wrong.  The only way we can overcome the evil and unjust things that are done to us is with good, His Love displayed in us.

When we try to use our carnal "weapons" to avenge ourselves, we will only make things worse, and evil will overcome us.

[SIZE=3][B]A[/B]pplication:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]How many times have I had the opportunity to put this into practice?  Too many to count!  Nearly every day, someone is going to do us wrong in some way.  In our leadership group, we used to say that as leaders, we have two buckets to choose from when it comes to putting out fires;  a bucket of gasoline, and a bucket of water.  Far too often, we choose the gasoline and make things a million times worse trying to "avenge" a wrong.  But these scriptures are what pours water on the fire.  As far as it depends on us, we should make an effort to live at peace.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B]P[/B]rayer:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Father, You know that I don't do as well with this as I should.  There have been many times when I have chosen, even willfully, the bucket of gasoline over the bucket of water.  But You know my heart, and my desire is to walk in the fullness of Your Love.  I repent for those times that I have reacted in anger instead of responding in Your Love.  Help me to have the strength to keep no record of those who do wrong to me, and to not feel the need to avenge those who do evil to me.  Pour Your Love into me, even more, so that when people look at me, they see You.  Draw those who have done evil to me to repentance with Your goodness.  Thank You for your grace and mercy, and for transforming me more and more into Your image from the inside out.[/SIZE]

churchlady

That's excellent Pete.  [/SIZE][IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/amen.gif[/img]  [SIZE=3]Now that's something we all need. [/SIZE]

churchlady

[SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#a5a5a5][SIZE=5]S[/SIZE][/COLOR]cripture[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=#c00000][SIZE=3][I]Romans 10: 6-9 [/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#c00000][SIZE=3][I]But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, [SIZE=2]"Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend into heaven?' " (that is, to bring Christ down from above) or, " 'Who will descend into the abyss?' "(that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). [/SIZE]But what DOES it say? "The word is near you, even [B]in your mouth[/B] and [B]in your heart[/B]" (that is, [U]the word of faith which we preach[/U]); that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#c00000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#c00000][SIZE=3][I]Romans 10: 10  [/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#c00000][I][SIZE=3]For with the [B]heart[/B] one believes to [B]righteousness[/B], and with the [B]mouth[/B] confession is made to [B]salvation[/B].  [/SIZE]
[/I]
[/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0a0a0]O[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]bservation[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]When we read these scriptures, we normally read them as the way to show people how to be born again, or in remembrance of our own salvation experience.  And that is good because when we believe the gospel with our hearts, God imputes His righteousness to us [B]permanently[/B].........declaring us [U]justified[/U] for all time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]But I think what we miss sometimes is that this Rom. 10: 10 [I]"believing in the heart, speaking with the mouth"[/I] process, is the outworking of faith [B][U]in any area[/U] [/B]of our lives.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We go from our initial faith for salvation, to faith for all the promises that are in Christ Jesus ([I]'from faith unto faith'[/I]). Faith, in this case, speaks more of [U]sanctification[/U], whereby we become aligned more and more with His truth.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We see this principle also in Proverbs, which tells us to [I]"guard your [U]heart[/U] with all diligence[/I], [I]for out of it are the issues of life".[/I]  It also tells us the [I]"the power of life and death is in the [U]tongue[/U]".  [/I]How do those 'issues of life' flow (get released), except through and out of the mouth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Righteous alignment [U]within[/U] releases the saving power of God [U]without[/U].[/SIZE]

[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0a0a0]A[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]pplication[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The saving work of God through His Son is [B]finished[/B], and is now offered to all of mankind, including me.  God asks only that I believe it, for 'according to my faith, shall it be unto me'.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I need to remind myself daily that the battle is to stop trying to get God to 'come down' or to 'come up' to save some part of my life, but that victory is already accomplished, the promises already mine.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B]I battle FROM victory, not FOR victory.[/B]  When this is established in my heart in some needful area of my life, then my heart has become aligned with God within, and the words that flow from my mouth to that situation, coming from my spirit, will carry the annointing to break the yoke off that part of my life.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0a0a0]P[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]rayer[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Father, how easy it is to get our eyes off of the finished work of Christ, and cry for you to 'come down' and save us.  You HAVE saved us, Lord.  You've already come down.  Forgive me for all the times, that in various situations of life, that I forget that.  And thank You for Your patience with me.  And thank You for the Holy Spirit within that is training me in the way of righteousness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Never stop Your dealings with me, Lord.  They are a constant sign of Your love. Your ways are perfect and I desire to walk in them.  Thank you, Father.   Amen.
[/SIZE]

flaglady

this is great! I want to try some ...

[SIZE=5]s[/SIZE][/COLOR]cripture
[B][URL=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=52&chapter=12&verse=1&version=31&context=verse]Romans 12:1[/URL][/B]
[ [I][B]Living[/B] [B]Sacrifice[/B]s [/I] ] Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as [B]living[/B] [B]sacrifice[/B]s, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship.

[COLOR=#c00000][SIZE=5]O[/SIZE][/COLOR]bservation
A tendency to see worship as something we do in church, singing songs, music, corporate prayer and such. Maybe even things like using dance, drama, flags. Worship is seen as an activity of itself, words we use, exuberant phrasing even to the point of being sycophantic.

[COLOR=#c00000][SIZE=5]A[/SIZE][/COLOR]pplication
Everything we do is a form of worship. When we do a kindness to someone, call on the lonely, give some change to a street person, make a donation to a charity, say a kind word to someone down in the dumps (thanks everyone! [IMG]http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/Smileys/default/winkcheeky.gif[/img] ), pray for someone we might not even know, give of our time, finances, goods, whatever - ALL these things are forms of worship. How it delights the Father when we put ourselves out for others, when we do something that might not be convenient, easy or that takes us out of our normal "comfort zone". He sees our actions and it brings joy to His heart. Just as it brought joy to His heart when Jesus made His sacrifice. "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13) - this may not be to death, just setting our own lives aside to do something for someone else.

[COLOR=#c00000][SIZE=5]P[/SIZE][/COLOR]rayer
Heavenly Father, I thank you for this verse through which you spoke to me so long ago, confirming that it truly was You I heard. I thank you that you guided me into nursing where this prophesy has been so wonderfully fulfilled. Help us to see how this verse actually permeates every facet of our lives even into the small things, a coin here or there or a word of comfort. Let US be a blessing to YOU, oh Lord. Hallelujah!

Pete

This is some excellent stuff!  :2thumbs:

I think this was a great idea, churchlady.  I'm thinking maybe I'll sticky this, so it doesn't get lost and we can always find it easily.  What do you think?

What's today's reading? 

flaglady

Yes, please!!! Sticky wicky!!

churchlady

[SIZE=3]Today's reading..........Rom. 13-16[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thursday...................Ephes. 1-4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Friday.......................Eph. 5,6  Ps. 119: 1-80[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Saturday...................Phil. 1-4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I really enjoyed your word, Jo.  Keep it coming!
[/SIZE]

Pete

Yesterday was a busy day, so I didn't get a chance to do this, but I'll be doing tonight's. 

Pete

[SIZE=3][B]S[/B]cripture:[/SIZE]

[I][COLOR=#ff0000][B]Ephesians 4:1-6 (NIV)[/B]
1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. [/COLOR][/I]

[SIZE=3][B]O[/B]bservation:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]This passage of scripture is talking about walking worthy of the calling we've received.  How do we walk worthy of our calling?  By being humble, gentle, patient, and bearing with one another in Love.  The Amplified Bible says "making allowances because you Love one another".  IOW, the way we walk worthy of our calling is to walk in Love toward our brothers and sisters as it is defined in 1 Corinthians 13.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]It also speaks of keeping the unity of the Spirit.  The way we do that is through "the bond of peace".  What this says to me is where there is no peace, there is no unity of Spirit.  It also explains why we should strive to live at peace with everyone, as far as it depends on us.[/SIZE]

I note that we are called "prisoners of the Lord".  IOW, this is not a choice for us, because we are not our own.  We have surrendered our will to His.  His will is for us to walk worthy.

[SIZE=3][B]A[/B]pplication:[/SIZE]

I think we should all try to do a better job of "making allowances".  Too often, we are stubborn and have to have things our own way.  But this scripture says that to walk worthy of our calling, there are times that we are going to have to "make allowances" for one another.  There are so many ways that we could do this.  I think it also ties into honoring others over yourself.  If I am honoring others over myself, I will have no problem making allowances and bearing with others in Love, even if they do something I don't necessarily like or agree with.

[SIZE=3][B]P[/B]rayer:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Father, I thank you for your amazing grace.  Help me to make allowances.  Help me to have more patience.  Help me to remain humble and gentle.  Help me to be a peacemaker, bringing the unity of the Spirit.  We are all unique parts of Your body, and we all need each other.  Thank You for continuing to make this Truth real to me.  Thank You for your Love and Your mercy towards me.[/SIZE]

Go Up