• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
February 20, 2020, 07:24:31 pm

The "body" of Christ

Started by Pete, December 01, 2008, 11:10:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I've been thinking...  WE are the body of Christ.  With that in mind, read this familiar scripture;

1 Corinthians 11:29 (NLT)
For if you eat the bread or drink the cup without honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God's judgment upon yourself.

We've all heard this scripture before, usually right before we take communion.  I've always read this to mean that if we don't understand and honor the bodily sacrifice that Christ gave for us, that we were eating and drinking God's judgment upon ourselves.  I believe that to be one meaning of this scripture.

But I believe that scriptures are many-dimensional, and that we can learn many Truths from a single scripture.  So understanding that WE are known as the BODY of Christ, this scripture can reveal another Truth to us; when we dishonor our brothers and sisters in Christ (the body of Christ). we eat and drink God's judgment upon ourselves...

IOW, if we leave the communion table and then participate in dishonoring our brothers and sisters, be it in gossip, back-biting, accusations, etc., we are eating and drinking judgment on ourselves, and we don't even realize it.  Look at what the very next verse says;

1 Corinthians 11:30 (NLT)
That is why many of you are weak and sick and some have even died.

So according to this scripture, many are weak, sick, and some have even died, BECAUSE they have taken communion without honoroing the body of Christ.

Thoughts?
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Alpine

I always took that to mean if there is sin in your life, you shouldn't partake.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

DianeL

A friend of mine on her way to church had a little argument with her husband during the ride in.  She wouldn't take communion that day.  She felt not right in doing so until she resolved this issue (even minor ones) with her husband.  I appreciated her frankness and her honouring the communion table.

Of course, her husband (probably not knowing how she felt about the discussion they were having had stumbled her) said, 'Dear? Coming?, she said no, I don't feel right today.

BTW, I was there and she told me about it.

My point is that even prior to communion, we should check ourselves? It definitely impacted me that even a minor argument (or strife) between you and someone that is unresolved could result in 1 Cor 11:30
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Pete

I used to think that too.  But now I'm not so sure...

The only reason I am worthy is because of what Jesus did for you and I.  It has nothing to do with my behavior, good or bad.

So if I argue with my wife on the way to church, there is nothing stopping me from taking communion, because my worthiness is not contingent upon my good behavior. That is, I believe, part of what "discerning the body" of Christ means.  Understanding that it is His bodily sacrifice that is what makes us worthy.

Before I take communion these days, I say something like, "Father, you know my heart.  You know that I am not worthy to partake of this communion.  I know that nothing I've said or done can make me worthy, and it is only because of the sacrifice of Your Son that I am able to call myself worthy.  Thank you for the blood of Jesus, that wipes away every sin, and calls me worthy to partake of this communion."

But beyond that, I am making a more conscious effort to honor my brothers and sisters, the "body" of Christ, every day of my life.  I've said it before, but I truly believe that everyone has something for me from God.  That belief has caused me to change how I talk to and listen to my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Now, I am looking for what it is they have for me from God.  We need each other.

I believe both of those Truths are found in this one scripture.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."