February 27, 2021, 07:13:24 am

It's all Greek to me!

Started by The Lord is my banner, November 20, 2008, 04:31:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lord is my banner

I suspect a fair few of you know at least some New Testament Greek.

I keep tripping over a latent desire to learn, but have never felt able, and have no idea how.  However, I think some brain exercise would be good for me, so maybe the time is coming...

Is there a way to get a taster of some basics cheaply or preferably free, until I'm sure?  I don't want to spend too much then have the books laying under dust because I couldn't understand them.

lovesblessing

Ever heard of this software?

http://www.amazon.com/Rosetta-Stone-V2-Greek-Level/dp/B000TFHZPO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1227207419&sr=8-3

They have all the different languages and are supposed to be very good for learning them.  It's a bit pricey, but it's one idea for you!
Faith is having a good opinion of God!

leadworship

Heya LIMB!  I'd just use a good interlinear bible. 

Or use this one - http://www.biblestudytools.net/InterlinearBible/

I don't have time to learn Greek, Hebrew, Chaldean, etc - but I can easily look stuff up here to help contextual meanings.

JTM³

Quote from: The Lord is my banner on November 20, 2008, 04:31:25 am
I suspect a fair few of you know at least some New Testament Greek.

I keep tripping over a latent desire to learn, but have never felt able, and have no idea how.  However, I think some brain exercise would be good for me, so maybe the time is coming...

Is there a way to get a taster of some basics cheaply or preferably free, until I'm sure?  I don't want to spend too much then have the books laying under dust because I couldn't understand them.

I have also pondered that it would be neat to know Greek and Hebrew.

Omniglot is a great site for language stuff, it has just about every language that exists, and even some constructed languages (i.e., Klingon :p).

Here's some Greek and Hebrew stuff.

Quote from: lovesblessing on November 20, 2008, 01:59:58 pm
Ever heard of this software?

http://www.amazon.com/Rosetta-Stone-V2-Greek-Level/dp/B000TFHZPO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1227207419&sr=8-3

They have all the different languages and are supposed to be very good for learning them.  It's a bit pricey, but it's one idea for you!

Uh, she asked for a cheap or free way to get a taste of it...Rosetta Stone is NOT cheap...

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

The Lord is my banner

The Crosswalk stuff looks good, but probably similar to the Interlinear Scripture Analyser that I already have but know how to use properly.  I know there are more functions in it and I can't seem to work out how to do it.  Hmm, so maybe Greek isn't my thing anyway.  I guess it's going to be harder learning that than navigating the ISA.
And I'm definitely not ready to spend £100 on a course I might not even be able to get the hang of. 

Rethinking the whole idea.   :popcorn: